• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please help bring my GPO installation up to date

Share/Bookmark

Please help bring my GPO installation up to date

I finally got a laptop powerful enough to run GPO. Yay!!

So I installed Finale 2007c, authorized it, installed GPO, and authorized it. No problem so far.

Now I want to bring the machine up to date. So I visited the support page, and I haven't a clue:

I know there was a major update to GPO a while back, but I can't find it. I saved some files with names like GPO_11U_Win_Setup.zip and GPO108U_Win_Setup.zip, but I think those are for GPO Studio, and I think Garritan Studio supersedes it.

I found a pointer to a big download from the Native Instruments website, but also found various messages saying that there are major problems with it that are about to be fixed.

There is a sticky thread on one of these forums that is 57 pages long--it will take me many hours to scroll through it all.

Is there any possibility that someone can reorganize the support page so that I can answer the simple question:

What do I need to do to get my GPO/Finale installation up to the latest stable version?

And when that's done, I'll want to answer the same question for JABB and Stradivari--but first things first.

Re: Please help bring my GPO installation up to date

Go to the NI Support page and download and install the GPO 1.1.8.3 update, if you want to still be able to use the Kontakt Player 1 version of GPO.

Thank you; that's a good start!

Does that update include the instrument modifications, etc?

What about Garritan Studio? Can I just install the 2.0 version and not worry about the others?

OK, I ran the update as suggested. Among other things, it substantially reduced the size of the file in c:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST -- from about 20 megabytes to 12189696 bytes.

I mention that size because I just looked at my desktop installation, and I think something is wrong there: In c:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST, I have a file named PersonalOrchestraVST.dll and a folder named Vstplugins, which in turn has a *different* file named PersonalOrchestraVST.dll. The one in the subfolder is exactly the same length as the file that is now on my laptop. Both of those files are dated June 3, 2005; the one in the higher directory is 12181504 bytes long and dated October 13, 2004.

Any idea what's going on here?

So why do I have two of them?

The 12 MB .dll is the latest and the one, you should use.

OK. But on my desktop machine, the Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST folder looks like this:

...\VST\PersonalOrchestraVST.dll 12,181,504 bytes, October 13, 2004
    ...\VST\VSTPlugins\PersonalOrchestraVST.dll 12,181,696 bytes, June 3, 2005

It sounds to me like I should move VSTPlugins\PersonalOrchestraVST.dll into VST, overwriting the PersonalOrchestraVST.dll file that's already there, and remove the VSTPlugins folder -- but is that the right thing to do?

If you only use GPO with Finale you can copy the June 3, 2005 file to the VST folder (and the Finale 2007\FinaleVST folder, if you plan to use GPO as a VST plugin in Finale) - thus overwriting the October 13, 2004 file - and delete the VSTPlugins folder. But other programs (Studio?) may need the VSTPlugins folder, so why not keep it?. Why did you create it in the first place?

I didn't explicitly create the file that I know of. I just installed various things and took the default options.

What I'm concerned about right now is having two files named PersonalOrchestraVST.dll in two different places that don't match each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    What I'm concerned about right now is having two files named PersonalOrchestraVST.dll in two different places that don't match each other.
    I have both in different folders - no problem, as long as you make sure your VST hosts refer to the right file, the "June 3, 2005" file. But if you overwrite the "October 13, 2004" file with the "June 3, 2005" file, you definitely won't get any problems.

Do you know what is the difference between the two files?

Go Back to forum