• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Topic: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement.

    Having posted the second movement of Handel's organ Concerto in F (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale) a few days ago, I promised the first movement. Here it is.

    Handel - Organ Concerto in F (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale) 1st Movement.
    Duration: 2 Minutes 44 Seconds. Filesize: 3.13 Mb.

    Just to recap on the info in my 2nd Movement post.

    (Quote) For those who are unfamiliar with this, the nickname (Cuckoo and Nightingale) comes from the bird song motifs to be heard in the second movement. Coincidentally, this work was completed by Handel in April (2nd) 1739.

    This was prepared entirely with good ol' GPO. I spent some time listening to recordings played on authentic instruments to get an idea of the organ registrations used then auditioned the GPO organ to find what I felt were appropriate samples. (Unquote)


    I have provided the following links should anyone like to link up both movements.

    Second Movement: Duration: 3 Minutes 31 Seconds. Filesize: 4.03 Mb.
    Handel - Organ Concerto in F (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale) 2nd Movement

    First Movement followed by Second Movement (as on a CD): Duration: 6 Minutes 17 Seconds. Filesize: 7.20 Mb.
    Handel - Organ Concerto in F (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale) 1st and 2nd Movement.

    This completes my present project for now. I may well complete the work with the last two movements later on, but this is it for now.

    Thanks to anyone who may listen, I hope you enjoy my efforts.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  2. #2

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Wow! Gorgeous! I feel like I'm in the cathedral listening to the maestro himself! I think that the balance between organ and chamber group is nice. You have a good ear!

    ~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

    Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Very nice, particularly the organ – it sounds great. I enjoyed both movements, but of course the namesake movement is special. I missed it when you first posted it and am glad I got a chance to hear both it and the first movement.
    Trent P. McDonald

  4. #4

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Wow! Gorgeous! I feel like I'm in the cathedral listening to the maestro himself! I think that the balance between organ and chamber group is nice. You have a good ear!

    ~Paula
    Well .. what a compliment.

    Thank you so much Paula, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  5. #5

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Very nice, particularly the organ – it sounds great. I enjoyed both movements, but of course the namesake movement is special. I missed it when you first posted it and am glad I got a chance to hear both it and the first movement.
    Trent, thank you for calling in to listen.

    I'm really glad you were able to listen this time and thanks for your appreciation.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  6. #6

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    The realism you achieved in this is quite astounding! Everything in terms of dynamics and articulations is meticulously taken care of. Outstanding work! If I could make one comment: I would increase the space just a tiny bit. Although your rendering is quite intimate and warm. I really enjoyed listening to this. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  7. #7

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    this is absolutely great!!!!
    I did the third movement some time ago with GPO and i think now we have all the concert!!

    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ghlight=handel

    GPO is great!!!

    Congratulations again,
    Roberto

  8. #8

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    The realism you achieved in this is quite astounding! Everything in terms of dynamics and articulations is meticulously taken care of. Outstanding work! If I could make one comment: I would increase the space just a tiny bit. Although your rendering is quite intimate and warm. I really enjoyed listening to this. Thank you.
    Louis

    Thank you for listening and your very positive cooments. I'm glad you enjoyed listening. Thank you again.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  9. #9

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by beach
    this is absolutely great!!!!
    I did the third movement some time ago with GPO and i think now we have all the concert!!

    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ghlight=handel

    GPO is great!!!

    Congratulations again,
    Roberto
    Thanks for listening Roberto and for your link .. what a coincidence. Seems we have a mutual respect for this work
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  10. #10

    Re: Handel Organ Concerto (Cuckoo and Nightingale) First Movement as promised.

    I must echo my colleagues in this, Michael: fine job!

    With Louis, I think perhaps a little larger room might
    be worthwhile trying.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •