• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Toro Zorro!

Share/Bookmark

Talking Toro Zorro!

Spanish Demo

Just for fun I thought I would try something different. We saw Zorro the other night and I really enjoyed Horner's scoring. So, I thought I would try my hand at something latin. I know it is major cliche, but I just wanted to give it a shot. Comments are always welcome, but not required. As always, thanks for listening. Enjoy!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Re: Toro Zorro!

Thanks for sharing that - it really brightened up my day! What did you use in addition to Garritan stuff - the castanets for instance? I've always been tempted by the Flamenco libraries out there, but they all seem to be loops only.

I thought the arrangement of this was spot on. Production-wise possibly it could do with a slightly beefier sound, but I'm not really an expert on this type of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Thanks for sharing that - it really brightened up my day! What did you use in addition to Garritan stuff - the castanets for instance? I've always been tempted by the Flamenco libraries out there, but they all seem to be loops only.

I thought the arrangement of this was spot on. Production-wise possibly it could do with a slightly beefier sound, but I'm not really an expert on this type of music.
    The extras that I used were a couple of spanish guitars from PlugSound's Fretted library. Taiko drums, cross sticks, snare & crash cymbol from the Roland library. (I really like the GPO snare and crashes better, but the reverb I was applying was conflicting at the time I laid them but will probably go back to them when I have more time.) And that's it. The castinets and everything else is GPO. I have the UAD Realverb Wooden Hall on for the overall effect, but that will also be up for change later because I agree with the beefier comment you made. It still sounds a little thin in places.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked it!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Spanish Demo

Just for fun I thought I would try something different. We saw Zorro the other night and I really enjoyed Horner's scoring. So, I thought I would try my hand at something latin. I know it is major cliche, but I just wanted to give it a shot. Comments are always welcome, but not required. As always, thanks for listening. Enjoy!

~Paula
    That's real good, Miss Paula. I like it. It's powerful and exciting. You have the flavor just right. The strings entry was great!

As far as I know, you are one of only two chick composers on this forum and both of you gals do a great job.

Thanks for posting your fine music.

Admiringly,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's real good, Miss Paula. I like it. It's powerful and exciting. You have the flavor just right. The strings entry was great!

As far as I know, you are one of only two chick composers on this forum and both of you gals do a great job.

Thanks for posting your fine music.

Admiringly,

Larry
    Thank you Larry! You are so sweet! I'm not sure why there are not as many female composers around. It's not like heavy lifting is required....
    Cheers!
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Thank you Larry! You are so sweet! I'm not sure why there are not as many female composers around. It's not like heavy lifting is required....
    I thought this was intersting - go to this page and take a look at some of the names. At least half of the composers listed are female! I knew a few names, but was surprised by the numbers listed here.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Paula,

I have a big complaint about this – it ends too soon! This feels like it is leading into something grand when it ends….

Very nicely done. Maybe, as you said, a little clichéd, but you nailed the feel.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I thought this was intersting - go to this page and take a look at some of the names. At least half of the composers listed are female! I knew a few names, but was surprised by the numbers listed here.
    That is astounding! I didn't realize that there were so many credited female composers. I was really only commenting on the forum. I think that Viv and Regina are new, but Nikki, Stephanie and me (don't mean to leave anyone out) are the old hangovers . And I've only recently returned because my internet has been kaputt! I'm glad I can join in again. There is some really great music from from new members here!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Paula,

I have a big complaint about this – it ends too soon! This feels like it is leading into something grand when it ends….

Very nicely done. Maybe, as you said, a little clichéd, but you nailed the feel.
    Thank you! I was thinking movie trailer. I still might try to develop something related. I want it to be less identifiable, tho. I'm probably stealing from someone (unintentionally, of course).

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Hi, Paula--I'm one of those "new kids" on the Forum you mentioned in this thread.

This Zorro-inspired piece was fun! I'm glad you let Pingu know that the Castenets are right there in good ol GPO. I keep wanting to use them--nothing appropriate yet.

One element missing from this is a big loud Trumpet--gotta have that in the mix, sooner than Flutes, I think? Bull fights, trumpet players in restaurants, all that.

A thought--you said this genre is "major cliche" and Trent agreed. I suppose that might be so, but I feel that any and every musical style could potentially be called "cliche"--because after all, everything Has been done before. It's just a matter of doing Well whatever it is we do. It's not cliche when it's well done. See what I mean?

And your piece was definitely well done--So, familiar as the sound is, it really is sounding fresh, and is great fun to hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast