• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mompou

Share/Bookmark

Mompou

This is the second of a set of Spanish homages - the first was Falla, posted a few months back. Federico Mompou was a composer of mostly piano music, thus this seemed the appropriate medium. It is quite slow, with a second section that is somewhat nocturne-like, echoing Mompou's affection of the music of Chopin.

http://idisk.mac.com/ronpearl-Public/Mompou2.mp3

In advance, thanks to the listeners!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Mompou

I'm only slightly familiar with Mompou; but the ruminative,
    almost hymn-like feel and the lightly developed minimalism
    and cycling of the theme are surely evident.

I've listened through this several times, Ron; and the
    deliberate, almost Satie-esque character and harmony of
    it gradually infuse the ear -- with the more flowing shape
    and motion of the interludial parts a welcome counterpoise
    to the terser material.

Beautifully done. It is a piece to settle back with, to
    grow familiar and comfortable with; and then it rewards
    you with a simple but telling beauty...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very tranquil!

..this is the sort of music I would absolutely enjoy listening through my Clavinova.. (while relaxing.)

I must have missed your "Homage to Falla" .. just listened. Terrific work!.. The piano is wonderfully played... very light and clean.

Were these pieces played live?

Are you familiar with the works of George Winston?... There's a familiarity between the two.

...I'll have to search Federico Mompouand see if I can obtain some midi files.

..Just lovely! thanks for sharing

~Jef

I really liked this. I’ve never heard of Federico Mompou. I’ll have to search out some of his works.

You call this a "homage". Is this something you wrote? If so, are you trying to write in Mompou's style or is this influenced by him?

I liked this quite a bit. As David says, I hear a little Satie. I looked up Mompou on Wikipedia and found he spent part of his life in Paris and was influenced by Satie.

Thanks for sharing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I really liked this. I’ve never heard of Federico Mompou. I’ll have to search out some of his works.

You call this a "homage". Is this something you wrote? If so, are you trying to write in Mompou's style or is this influenced by him?

I liked this quite a bit. As David says, I hear a little Satie. I looked up Mompou on Wikipedia and found he spent part of his life in Paris and was influenced by Satie.

Thanks for sharing.

Trent,

Yes, this is something I wrote. In the spirit of many homages, I tried to capture something of the style of the composer, without it being an imitation. I'd like to venture to say that if you liked this piece, you might like his music, but that's a judgment call - and I'm a little too close to it to be objective.

Thanks for listening.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Very tranquil!

..this is the sort of music I would absolutely enjoy listening through my Clavinova.. (while relaxing.)

I must have missed your "Homage to Falla" .. just listened. Terrific work!.. The piano is wonderfully played... very light and clean.

Were these pieces played live?

Are you familiar with the works of George Winston?... There's a familiarity between the two.

...I'll have to search Federico Mompouand see if I can obtain some midi files.

..Just lovely! thanks for sharing

~Jef
    Jef,

Both pieces were done in notation - Sibelius - and nothing more. I wish I could play them! Well, I can manage the right hand for the first 20 measures of the Mompou...

George Winston, eh? Been a while since I heard that name - whebn you say familiarity, do you mean Winston and Mompou?

Thanks for listening.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Hi Ron,

While listening, I found a similarity between your homage to Mompou and George Winston.

Interesting thought..... Or perhaps the comparison could have been between George W. and yourself!

... very well done!

~Jeff

Some great writing here Ron. I like the simplicity and moving nature of the first half - and the way this gives way briefly to the more elaborate passages in the second half. I also like the reflective and well controlled ending. Congratulations on putting this thoughtful and delicate piece together.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I'm only slightly familiar with Mompou; but the ruminative,
    almost hymn-like feel and the lightly developed minimalism
    and cycling of the theme are surely evident.

I've listened through this several times, Ron; and the
    deliberate, almost Satie-esque character and harmony of
    it gradually infuse the ear -- with the more flowing shape
    and motion of the interludial parts a welcome counterpoise
    to the terser material.

Beautifully done. It is a piece to settle back with, to
    grow familiar and comfortable with; and then it rewards
    you with a simple but telling beauty...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

As always, your comments are kind and generous. I'm glad the hymn-like feeling came across - Mompou liked static/chorale like textures/gestures at times; another part of his style was the Chopinesque - hence the second section. His Cancion y Danzas are well worth exploring, especially nos. 5, 6 and 10.

Thank you for the steadfast support. It's nice to know I can count on your ears (but then I'd only be able to count to two...oy, that was a bad one.)

Seriously, many thanks!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Hi Ron,

This is a very interesting piece ('interesting' in the best sense of the word). I had to listen to it twice to begin to understand it, and really appreciate it. I think the first time through, I was adjusting to the sound of the piano, which is something I'm grappling with right now.

I believe I've encountered some of Mompou's music years ago, and I think you capture its spirit beautifully.

Best regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast