• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: jazz and big band in sonar

Share/Bookmark

jazz and big band in sonar

Hi everybody

I am new to this forum and to Sonar.

My problem is getting sound when using the Garriton instruments in Sonar 6.

As a standalone it works and it also works for recording my Yamaha WX5 in Sonar but I can't put soft synth tracks to replace the synth in already recorded midi files and get sound. I see in some cases the garritan panel shows by the keys and meter bars that the signal is there but the mod wheel is at bottom. When pushed up it comes down as soon restart . I have tried the Sonar global project midi out an this does not solve the problem in this case.

any help will be most appreciated

Sandy

Re: jazz and big band in sonar

Hi, Sandy

"...the mod wheel is at bottom. When pushed up it comes down as soon restart..."

Go into Options>Project Options>MIDI out. UN-check "Zero Controllers when play stops." When this is checked, the default setting, this does exactly what it says--it takes all controllers back to Zero. That doesn't work when using Garritan libraries, because the Mod Wheel, cc1, is volume.

Once you have that unchecked, your wheel won't keep going down to zero volume. Naturally, you want to have the levels of cc1 that you actually want in the sequence--and it's not a switch to set and forget. It's a constantly active thing, the varying volume throughout a piece via wheel.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

If you were using CC7 or CC11 for expression in the past, then you'll need to remap them to CC1. There's a tool available somewhere here on the forum that will do the remapping but I can't remember what it's called.

You may even want to record new CC1 (modulation) to make your parts work better though. JABB is designed to have CC1 changing all the time.

Jim

Hi, Sandy--I hope the replies from Jim and myself have helped you out?

I wanted to come back to strongly suggest you follow Jim's second suggestion--that when you're using MIDI tracks that have already been recorded, it's much better to record cc1 rather than use a tool to map the file's cc7 and/or cc11 into cc1.

Looking at your post again, I'm wondering if there's something else basically wrong in the way you're trying to get JABB to play your MIDI files. You said:

"...but I can't put soft synth tracks to replace the synth in already recorded midi files and get sound..."

Maybe you didn't mean that literally, but it sounds like you're saying there's a particular synth in those already recorded MIDI files. There isn't. MIDI is data and is ready to play back through whatever you want it to.

Something else you may not have meant literally in that quote is when you seemed to be saying you are trying to add 'synth tracks to replace...'

Changing the instrument that a MIDI track plays doesn't involve adding another track, and it doesn't involve changing anything in the MIDI data itself. In the track header on the left of the Sonar screen, you need to open up the view and change the track's output to the soft synth which you've previously placed in the Synth Rack. There are options for specifying a particular sound, if it's the type of synth that has a bank which can be switched that way. But in JABB, you of course need to load the instruments you want to use into the Kontact player.

I brought all of that up in case you were also having problems with that step.

Let us know how you're doing.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the help. It solved the problem of the mod wheel. however when I
    finally inserted JABB as the soft synth on one track the sound continued with no relation to the position of the mod wheel.

Another problem is that If i use the synth on two tracks only one has sound. I insert the synth twice once for each track.

Thanks again

Sandy

Hi, Sandy

"...Thanks for the help. It solved the problem of the mod wheel..."

Several different suggestions were given on this thread. I can't tell from your answer which idea worked--which one solved your problem? I think you're referring to the info about un-checking the "zero controllers" option?

"...however when I finally inserted JABB as the soft synth on one track the sound continued with no relation to the position of the mod wheel..."

I'm not sure what you mean. The instrument didn't respond to movements of the wheel? It just stayed the same level no matter how you moved the wheel?

"...Another problem is that If i use the synth on two tracks only one has sound. I insert the synth twice once for each track..."

I'm not sure why you want to use the same sound on two tracks--? If you're trying to build an ensemble, a group of the same kind of instrument, like a group of Flutes, you need to use a different version of the instrument for multiple tracks. Otherwise the sounds will compete. That's why there are several different kinds of each solo instrument in GPO. There are slight tonal differences which will let you put together a realistic grouping, but you never want to use two copies of the exact same instrument.

But from what you're saying, I think that what's happening is you have the same instrument on two different tracks, but since an instrument can only be on one MIDI channel at a time--you're only hearing one because the two tracks are on two different MIDI channels. You could change the MIDI channel numbers so they're the same on both tracks, and that would work--but if you're trying to get a duet this way, as I said above--this isn't the way to do it.

Basically, Sandy, I'm having trouble following exactly what you're doing, because your reply here is very sketchy. I've made some guesses, and given you several pieces of info, hoping something will be what you need.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi I guess i'm not too clear.

What i do is enter the synth on different tracks. For each track i insert a separate number of the synth with a different instrument selected.
    Only the Number 1 synch sounds the others do not play.

Thanks

Sandy

Hello again, Sandy

When you say the "synth" are you referring to the Kontact player with its 8 different slots for instruments?

Are you talking about first inserting the VSTi in your project, and then loading instruments from the library into it, or are you talking about the stand alone version of GPO? Or are you talking about the Studio version?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi

Boy I apparently don't understand much about JABB.

What I have been doing is as follows in Sonar:

In the open file I have for example four midi tracks

I play the the tracks in a hardware Roland 1080 synth to verify sound

Next I insert a soft sync JABB in the in the project

i then load an instrument in the JABB panel

I choose a track and right click for properties and select the Jabb output and write in the channel number

I do all the same steps exactly for each additional track

If I do all four tracks in the Sonar synth track box I wll have 4 synths

Garratin JABB 1,2,3,4

I don't know how to use the standalone , I use it for playing my Yamaha WX5 wind instument and get a fine sax sound compared to other synths that sound like kazoos

Sandy

Hi--The only thing I'm catching right now from your new post:

"...i then load an instrument in the JABB panel..."

But I'm not clear if you're loading a total of four instruments, which is what you need to do. The first four slots in the Kontact player with four different instruments--each on a different channel.

Because it sounds like you're saying you load just one instrument, and then are wondering why you don't have sound on the other channels--and you wouldn't if there's only one instrument, because it's on a single MIDI channel--the one the first track is assigned to.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum