• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ivory and laptops for live playing

Share/Bookmark

Ivory and laptops for live playing

Hi, all! I need to know if Ivory will work just fine for live gigs on today's laptops (with dual core or core 2 duo processors) and loaded on JUST the internal hard drive, i.e. not using an external hard drive.

I plan to use Ivory for live playing on a laptop but don't want to carry around an extra hard drive with its cables.

Re: Ivory and laptops for live playing

You are not telling us the two most important elements:

RAM and the speed of the hard disk.

but judging from what I know of laptops, it has a rather slow hard disk, which makes it difficult to stream samples and especially Ivory which is kind of a monster...

Of course, it always depends on how many velocity layers you want to have. So a Steinway 6 layer, might work, while the Steinway 10, won't...

I just tested today morning Artvista VGP ( a 6 GB piano) running on a dual 2.33 Ghz macbook pro, 2GB RAM and 7200 rpm 100GB internal HD.

For the first time with a laptop, I got perfect result. My favourite test is the 13th Chopin study, where you find up to 5 bars with 48 notes per bar, keeping pedal down. The problem usually is when you release the pedal, which trigs a lot of release samples, K2 showed using more than 180 voices, but beautiful result, no crack, everything OK. CPU load not over 50% for both processors.

K2 requests a 17 mS latency time to take advantage of dual core. You must switch to single processor operation to loxer the latency. I did not the test.

Dominique

Art Vista is 16 bit and seems to be less demanding streaming wise than a 24 bit library.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    You are not telling us the two most important elements:

RAM and the speed of the hard disk.

but judging from what I know of laptops, it has a rather slow hard disk, which makes it difficult to stream samples and especially Ivory which is kind of a monster...

Of course, it always depends on how many velocity layers you want to have. So a Steinway 6 layer, might work, while the Steinway 10, won't...

I was eyeing a laptop with 2GB of RAM and a 5400 RPM hard disk. I plan to use ASIO4all and to get at least a 10 ms latency.

Regarding velocity layers, I plan to use the 4 layer Yamaha. But I also do want to know your experiences on using the full layer Steinway.

Quote Originally Posted by domi
    I just tested today morning Artvista VGP ( a 6 GB piano) running on a dual 2.33 Ghz macbook pro, 2GB RAM and 7200 rpm 100GB internal HD.

Dominique
    This info helps a lot. Thank you very much.

I intentionally put up Ivory in my question although I would plan to use other pianos with it like VGP and NI Akoustik, but since both of these have 16-bit versions, I figured that if Ivory, which is more CPU demanding, would run fine then I wouldn't have any problems with 16-bit pianos.

So, anyone elso who has experience with Ivory for live playing? On a core duo laptop with 2GB RAM and a 5400 RPM internal drive? And if you were able to use the full layer versions or just the lighter ones e.g. 6 and 4 layers? Any inputs would be very appreciated.

Go Back to forum