• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can sombody explain keyswitching for articulation basics?

Share/Bookmark

Can sombody explain keyswitching for articulation basics?

I have horns and strings and want to for example be able to go from trills to note fades.Are certain keys assigned for each articulation or do I have to set it or are the articulations done on the same key? I have no idea where to start so I can get realistic articulations going. I have independence and east west orchestra strings, kick ~~~ brass and a bunch of other stuff.I'm sure things differ according to who makes the program but can you steer me to the basics?
    Thanks
    dblock

Re: Can sombody explain keyswitching for articulation basics?

I think I know what you mean so here goes,

The EW orchestra has Keyswitch instruments for most instruments in the orchestra meaning you can use 4 or 5 different articulations using just one midi channel and one midi track.
    for instance;
    if you click on the 11 violins folder then click on the keyswitch folder and load a keyswitch instrument,(most keyswitch instruments have 4 or 5 articulations appearing as red highlighted keys in Kompakt/Kontakt keyboard window.)

by clicking on each one of the red highlighted keys you can change the articulations from thrill to sus or stac etc.

For example;
    if you want to use a thrill articulation FIRST you need to press record and play the highlighted keyswitch note for thrill,these are midi information notes and dont make a sound and appear as normal midi notes.
    for example;
    if you are recording using thrill starting on beat 1 of bar 4 your kewswitch note for thrill should be recorded about a bar before that start point'
    lets say you then want to change to staccato at bar 8 then you need to record and play the highlighted keyswitch note for staccato,remember record the Keyswitch note just before the 8th bar and slightly after the last note of your thrill section,repeat the same process for Sus/marc and so on.
    (I hope this makes sense)

Alternatively you can also load in 8 or 16 different articulations on 8 or 16 different midi channels and paly and record them on seperate tracks.

Dean.

Thumbs up Re: Can sombody explain keyswitching for articulation basics?

Dean,
    That was the absolute best response yet for what I was asking. I sure appreciate you taking the time out with that much detail. That clears up alot of questions that I had but didn't know exactly how to ask and be understood. Thanks again.
    Cheers!
    dblock

Re: Can sombody explain keyswitching for articulation basics?

You're welcome,let me know if that helps,

once you remember to record the appropriate keyswitch notes and where you want them,it works very well.

Dean.

Go Back to forum