• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GS3 - Considering Up from GS2

Share/Bookmark

GS3 - Considering Up from GS2

Hi,

What's the copy protection scheme like in GS3? Same as GS2?
    Also, can I assume that most of the big problems are fixed with the current version?

P.S.
    I don't want GVI.
    I have a dedicated PC ready for GS3 if I do it.

Thanks

Re: GS3 - Considering Up from GS2

Hi Steve,

There's no library copy protection.

The registration is somewhat improved. When you install the software, you get a ten day grace period, before you need to register. After that, you still need to register the machine through Tascam (similar to 2.5). You can register by phone, e-mail or the built-in online application. A phone call early in the day gets the quickest response.

Hi Jon,

Have you any experience with Kontakt also?
    I'm suspecting that if my priority is polyphony count Giga 3 is the way to go?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Hi Jon,

Have you any experience with Kontakt also?
    I'm suspecting that if my priority is polyphony count Giga 3 is the way to go?

Thanks,
    Sorry Steve, I don't own K2. I used the K1 player with GPO, but that's another animal.

Hi,

What's the copy protection scheme like in GS3? Same as GS2?
    Also, can I assume that most of the big problems are fixed with the current version?

P.S.
    I don't want GVI.
    I have a dedicated PC ready for GS3 if I do it.

Thanks
    I'd rather have the authorization they use in Kontakt. GS3 adds a service in the background.

I can't answer your polyphony question about K2. Try the Kontakt forum for that answer.

Kontakt does have some advantages. It imports more formats,can be used as a VST, more libraries available (debatable). No one has to have dedicated Kontakt machine. No service running in the background.

GS3 still has the best GUI. It's a monster compared to GS2. The delay of releasing was well worth it. If you don't want the msg32.exe running at every startup it will load when you launch Giga. Going from GS2 to 3 doesn't require a large learning curve.

Thank you Mr. kitekrazy!

I'm thinking in the long run and ideally, I should have both, but it seems like Kontakt might still be a bit immature in it's development.

And then, on an other note, today I downloaded a demo of Sibelius 4. Ummmm ... pretty tempting.

Thank you Mr. kitekrazy!
    I should have both, but it seems like Kontakt might still be a bit immature in it's development.
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Developers sure seem to like it over GS.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Developers sure seem to like it over GS.
    Maybe so... but I believe that is, primarily, because these "developers" have little-or-no idea what GS3, and its extensive iMIDI, DEF and PRF capabilities, are capable of.....

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Maybe so... but I believe that is, primarily, because these "developers" have little-or-no idea what GS3, and its extensive iMIDI, DEF and PRF capabilities, are capable of.....

They probably know what it is capable of. It could be that they don't care. They dropped Giga based on what it couldn't do or they refused to do and that is locking samples into a player. Ask Gary why he dropped the Giga platform.

It's all about getting the most profit out of a platform from a developers view.

I thought you could just compress the .gig file and effectively make the samples impossible to export.
    That's how a few libs I have are. Can't even view the .wav file to see if a problem exists.

The most recent one I encountered that is compressed if PMI Emperor.
    I suspect it's the support issue as in Tascam doesn't do support.

I have to agree that Giga is the big dog when it comes to interface, performance. Even Giga 2 makes Kontakt 2 look and feel like a tinker toy.

You gotta wonder how a large company like NI can be so clueless ( or is it unwilling to spend the money on development ) when it comes to building a GUI.

I've got free apps. that have way nicer interfaces than Kontakt.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast