• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First large orchestra piece...

First large orchestra piece...

How's everyone doin'?

I tried something alittle different for you all to hear. I steered away from just the simple piano pieces that I have been writing and wrote something for a large orchestra.(Don't worry, I still snuck in a piano here and there).

All GPO.

Re: First large orchestra piece...

Here is how I picture this piece.
    I'm in a large room high ceiling and orchestra facing me.
    Midway alone the wall on the right hand side there is a large doorway and looking throught it I see a piano. The piano doesn't sneak into the piece because it is being played in that room and not this one.
    I think the doorway is wide enough to move the piano into this room so give it a try by bringing it into a more central place in the stereo image.

Should be fixed now.

I'm still getting File Not Found.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    I'm still getting File Not Found.
    Myself, as well.

Oops! I'm sorry. try again; it should work.

Wow--n3wman918--This piece is full of surprises. I had the volume cranked up since it was sounding soft and gentle, and I wanted to really catch everything--then BOOM, oh MY the full orchestra makes quite an entrance! Powerful.--but had to reach for the volume knob, and make a downwards adjustment.

Really interesting moods coursing through the piece. The "rendering" is nice and full, big panorama,--and then there's the one thing which doesn't sound quite right. Ray pointed out, and I agree, that the piano sounds like it's being played in a room on down the hall from the stage. It's a matter of it having an extremely low volume as well as what sounds like mostly a wet signal.

Perhaps you meant for that precise effect. But it would seem it's distracting at least Ray and myself from having a full appreciation of the music.

Something I've noticed in doing my recordings. I'll have a huge dynamic range, from ppp to ffffffff, and it will turn out to be just TOo large a range for comfortable listening. People are forced to grab their volume knobs to crank it up and then down again--and that's not good. You can still manage to get quite a good contrast in volumes by narrowing the difference much more than you may think you can initially.

But, I enjoyed this and found the orchestral emulation convincing. --I'll use the word "interesting" again--but I mean that in the true sense. This Was interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

Randy B.

Didn't mind the piano placement - I undersatnd the concerns, but for me it gave a sense of isolation/loneliness. Don't know if that is what you intended with the piano solo. But, placement aside, this is very nice, and quite poignant in places.
    Is this going to be longer/more developed? I vote yes, as you have a lot of great material. I like what you have done, but do think there is fertile ground here for a larger piece.

Thanks for sharing this!
    Ron Pearl

Thanks for the replys everyone. I apologize for the sudden change to ff as I forgot i was the only one who knew it was coming so i adjusted my volume before hand. But yes, I was trying to catch the listner off guard with a "question and reply" Type of technique and i will definetly try and develop this as I write more variations of the theme in different keys to keep it fresh.

I enjoyed the harmonies in the brass when they come in! Nice surprises - as Randy said. The melody is stuck in my head, now! Good work!

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast