• Register
  • Help

Topic: everything sounds rubbish live and in mono...

everything sounds rubbish live and in mono...

Hi there,

I would like to ask how you all get your lovely piano samples to sound ok when using them live and in mono?

I use my laptop and Cubase SX2.2 to run The Grand 2 / white grand, as well as Lounge Lizard 3 (rhodes) and B4II (hammond) - controlled with a Kawai MP4 and an axiom 61.

The problem is that most PA's where I play (i.e. church in my case) are set up in mono, and only using one half of a stereo piano sample just sounds terrible.
    As cubase no longer has a 'mono' button on the main mixer, I set one up as described on the cubase.net forum:

1) Insert the Mix6to2 plugin into a master slot.
    2) Set for mono-merging.
    (CTR-click on all 4 faders / They will snap to -6dB / Save preset as "Mono")
    The Mix6to2 plugin is to be found in the "Surround" Folder.

But that makes it sound phasey..
    I haven't tried using a hardware mixer to add the L&R together yet.

Also (and finally - thanks for reading!) - Whereas hardware piano sounds (eg rd300sx / P120 / MP4 etc) don't have the quality of sound in the studio to my software equivalents, when used live - the latter just don't sound great with the band - but that's maybe an eq issue.

Anyway - your thoughts would be really appreciated.

Re: everything sounds rubbish live and in mono...

For the Grand 2, ther is a stereo seperation setting the increses or decreases how much the samples are panned left to right. If you turn it to the lowest setting, which I think is the middle, but I can't remember...I'm not at my DAW...there will be a mono output. I think this is under the room settings tab. I can't remember for sure, but I think there is also a check box for reversing left to right, but it may be controlled by the panning to. I think if you look for it, you'll figure it out...perhaps someone else can tell you more about that. I hope your DAW is more stable than mine because the grand sometimes crashes, or Cubase, can't tell which.

I'm would assume that Ivory would have some feature for that too, but I don't have it.

I think that Kelly Industries has a free plugin for mixing stereo to mono properly. I downloaded it but accidentally deleted it so I can't remember the name and I have to downloaded it again. It should be fairly easy to figure out from there site which one it is. Cubase probably has some way to do this internally, but I never figured it out, and any way to do it from within the virtual piano program is obviously the way to go. Hope that helps.

Also, I don't know why you used the 6 to 2 setting. I'm in Cubase SX1 so it might be different, but it sounds like your running your output through a surround sound setting...DON'T, not with 2 channel and certainly not with mono. If that was just because it was the only mono-izing setting you could find, use one of the above settings instead. Do not attempt to use The Grand 2's surround placement/surround reverb. If your PA has reverb, or the church environment is very reverberant, turn all reverb off under The Grand's room settings tab. This will also free up your Laptops CPU and prevernt glitches.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by crazyox; 04-29-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: mistake

Re: everything sounds rubbish live and in mono...

Hi there,

Thanks for replying.
    I didn't realise the grand2 had that option - I'll check it out.

The surround sound work-around for mono is the one recommended by the cubase.net forum administrators themselves - i.e. steinberg!
    It does work though - but I'll try the Kelly option to see if there's a difference.

Thanks again

Go Back to forum