• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Trio

Share/Bookmark

2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Trio

The first demo is from Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio - Versatile. The first part features the bassflute from VSL's new Special Woodwinds. The part after the double bass solo features the flute in C from the Woodwinds I package.

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5037

Second demo is an arrangement for contrabass clarinet from
    Ralph Vaughan Williams' Six Studies in English Folksong - Adagio. Originally composed for cello and piano but performed over the years by many different instruments. This may be the world premiere of the contrabass clarinet version.

http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5035

Best,
    Jay

Re: 2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Tri

both great rendtions, however, being a fan of the bass clarinet, I really enjoyed the bass clarinet, it's a great bass clarinet, and the key sounds add to the realism... Great work on your behalf, on bringing out the realism in this instrument library...

Re: 2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Trio

Jay,

You're my hero.
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Re: 2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Trio

Amazingly good renditions as always.

No midi?

Re: 2 VSL Special Woodwinds demos - Claude Bolling's Suite for Flute & Jazz Piano Tri

Fantastic choice of work! Have the vinyl!

I'll listen in a sec.!

Ok.

I'm listening to Claude right now (I have the Jean Pierre Rampar edition, with the composer on the piano, btw).

I will have to say that, even though I was trying not to, I ended up compairing the 2 different recordings. And I know that this is not the intention of Jay, nor the job of VSL or any sample library. So apologises for this.

On the recording itself.

I was not entirely convinced by the alto flute (is it alto, or bass? Can't remember anymore). More that it was a tad too close and loud, than anything. It didn't feel part of the mix. And what didn't work for me really (sorry Jay), is the tempo. Felt really quantitised, although I'm sure that you did everything to your hand to fix this.

The whole mixing feels somewhat wrong, until the CB solo enters, and everything goes louder, and then it feels great!

I'll give Williams a listen to a sec as well

Thanks everyone for listening and especially for taking the time to comment.

Richard-- I'll be sending Herb at VSL the midi and VI presets in a few days.

Nickolas-- I think all of your obserations have merit. I was purposefully trying to recreate the dry, small studio sound of the original recording-- but I probably missed the mark a bit. I tried to avoid a quantized feel, but probably the best way to have done that would have been to perform the parts live. However, I'm afraid I don't have the piano playing chops for performing this piece live.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum