• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to screw up a soundtrack...

Share/Bookmark

How to screw up a soundtrack...

1) take a well crafted soundtrack that contains lovely supporting music, epic moments, tender love scenes, suspenseful cues, etc.

2) compile all of these songs on the soundtrack disc.

3) Blow it all by adding the dub re-mix or corny pop song at the end of the CD.

Pirates of the Caribbean (dub remix), Mulhulland Falls (horrible pop song), Legend of 1900 (Nice Roger Water's tune but so out of place) , etc, etc.

Do they really need to put a disco-remix complete with thumping 4 on the floor sub bass kick drum. there is nothing worse than listening to a great soundtrack CD and then having the last song go thump, thump, thump. If the marketing monkeys feel this is the only way the album will sell perhaps they should reconsider. I wonder if they had a disco version of the theme to Schindler's List?

Sorry for the rant,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: How to screw up a soundtrack...

Yeah, I know what you mean. But what's worse is when the movie has an original score, but instead of releasing that, they release an entire soundtrack CD comprised of pop music that doesn't even appear in the movie. That was common in the 80's and 90's though I'm not sure how often that happens these days.

Most likely because that's the only track your average consumer gives a damn about, that's why.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogles
    Yeah, I know what you mean. But what's worse is when the movie has an original score, but instead of releasing that, they release an entire soundtrack CD comprised of pop music that doesn't even appear in the movie. That was common in the 80's and 90's though I'm not sure how often that happens these days.
    It has happened recently with the Narnia movie.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rogles
    Still happens with an awful lot of films. I almost couldn't locate the first two Spiderman OSTs, because Amazon UK only had 'Spiderman the Album.'

Go Back to forum