• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    I am nonplussed.

    Generally, I'm not tooo slow--but I guess I've had some extreme thickness in understanding something basic here about Kontact.

    A recent reply to one of my posts said "I assume you're using Kontact 2." I replied that no, I'm using the Kontact player that comes with GPO and the one that comes with JABB.

    But that reply to me made me curious--I looked around---And now I'm seeing posts, tutes and stickys about an updated Kontact that came out in just the past couple of months?

    Whenever Kontact 2 has been referred to, I thought it was always in reference to what is also referred to as "the full version of Kontact"--and it Is a "Kontact 2" isn't it? And that's the not-inexpensive one I could buy at NI's site, if I were so inclined?

    But this Other Kontact 2 being referred to is a free upgrade of the proprietary players that come with GPO and JABB?

    DO I have it right now?---HOW I missed out on following this before I don't know. ANd I'm posting this because I guess I'm still not quite positive that I have this right---

    BUT man oh man, it looks like there are all Sorts of problems people are encountering with this upgrade, and there's a lot of user tweaking to do, moving files, deleting etc--

    It wasn't the smoothest thing I've ever gone through, getting GPO to work for me when I first got it. But it all got resolved, and now I am scared to death to mess with what is working just fine. Apparently I'll have more editing options if I upgrade--but I'm so happy with the results I'm getting, I don't know if I can get over my fear of messing things up just to try the new features.

    Help--?!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Last edited by rbowser-; 04-30-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo

  2. #2

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    The free update will be Kontakt Player 2. Many refer to it as KP2 to avoid confusion with the full version of Kontakt.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    I am nonplussed.

    Generally, I'm not tooo slow--but I guess I've had some extreme thickness in understanding something basic here about Kontact.

    A recent reply to one of my posts said "I assume you're using Kontact 2." I replied that no, I'm using the Kontact player that comes with GPO and the one that comes with JABB.

    But that reply to me made me curious--I looked around---And now I'm seeing posts, tutes and stickys about an updated Kontact that came out in just the past couple of months?

    Whenever Kontact 2 has been referred to, I thought it was always in reference to what is also referred to as "the full version of Kontact"--and it Is a "Kontact 2" isn't it? And that's the not-inexpensive one I could buy at NI's site, if I were so inclined?

    But this Other Kontact 2 being referred to is a free upgrade of the proprietary players that come with GPO and JABB?

    DO I have it right now?---HOW I missed out on following this before I don't know. ANd I'm posting this because I guess I'm still not quite positive that I have this right---

    BUT man oh man, it looks like there are all Sorts of problems people are encountering with this upgrade, and there's a lot of user tweaking to do, moving files, deleting etc--

    It wasn't the smoothest thing I've ever gone through, getting GPO to work for me when I first got it. But it all got resolved, and now I am scared to death to mess with what is working just fine. Apparently I'll have more editing options if I upgrade--but I'm so happy with the results I'm getting, I don't know if I can get over my fear of messing things up just to try the new features.

    Help--?!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  3. #3

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Thanks for the reply, Craig

    I really think this needs to be more clearly spelled out on the Forums and on the Garritan sites. Here I am, a member for coming up on two years, and I didn't understand at all.

    I thought KP2 was the full Kontact 2. Don't ask me what I thought the "P" stood for--but it was my misconception.

    ACK--BUt do you have any encouragement about doing the upgrade? The agonized posts from people having problems have me not wanting to upgrade. I would totally freak if I messed up my system and had to be down for any amount of time because of it.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  4. #4

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    ---I just now looked all over the main Garritan site, "personal orchestra"---and the download update they have for the GPO Kontact player is 1.8 something, the one I've had forever.

    Why isn't this KP2 there where most people go, I wonder?

    --Just wondering out loud really. --

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  5. #5

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Thanks for the reply, Craig

    I really think this needs to be more clearly spelled out on the Forums and on the Garritan sites. Here I am, a member for coming up on two years, and I didn't understand at all.

    I thought KP2 was the full Kontact 2. Don't ask me what I thought the "P" stood for--but it was my misconception.

    ACK--BUt do you have any encouragement about doing the upgrade? The agonized posts from people having problems have me not wanting to upgrade. I would totally freak if I messed up my system and had to be down for any amount of time because of it.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

    If you have the full version of Kontakt Two, it would be advisable to upgrade to the latest version. I did and I am pleased with the results. The upgrade took care of a number of problems in the previous edition.

    The Kontakt Two upgrade can be found on the Native Instruments website.

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  6. #6

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Whenever Kontact 2 has been referred to, I thought it was always in reference to what is also referred to as "the full version of Kontact"
    It is, when I refer to it. Unfortunately a lot of people also call Kontakt Player 2 "Kontakt 2", which sometimes makes it a bit difficult to guess, if they really mean Kontakt 2 or just erroneously refer to Kontakt Player 2 (sigh). It is not just a game of words - Kontakt 2 is a much more powerful program than Kontakt Player 2.

  7. #7

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Why isn't this KP2 there where most people go, I wonder?
    Because the update is still not official. And I don't think it will be official before NI has fixed the bugs, people have been complaining about. But you can find the un-official update of GPO to KP2 on NI's Update page under "Garritan Personal Orchestra" (not "Garritan Personal Orchestra KP2", as you might expect).

    Updating GPO to KP2 won't do any harm to your old GPO (KP1).

  8. #8

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Like Nickie said, KP1 and KP2 can coexist. You can migrate over to KP2 gradually if you wish. All your presets will have to be resaved, there is no conversion.

  9. #9

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    Thanks for all the replies, helping me grasp what the situation is.

    Larry--I don't have the full version of Kontact. What I'm saying on this thread is that I didn't know until yesterday that the Player in GPO had been updated--I thought all references to Kontact 2 were about the full version, but as Nickie has pointed out here, I'm confused because there has been a confusion of references!

    "...I don't think it will be official before NI has fixed the bugs, people have been complaining about..."

    AH, ok--so that's why it's not announced in the Support/Downloads section of the Garritan site. WElllll, this quote from you, Nickie, just confirms what I think is the best thing to do--to Wait until it's fixed.

    I understand that the earlier and new versions can co-exist, but I don't know why I'd want to mess around with the new one which is problematic--as per the posts I've seen in reaction to it.

    I'll sit tight for now. --and as for the full version of Kontact, I understand there's much more to it than the simple players in GPO and JABB, but my studio budget can't include it right now.

    Thanks again, all!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  10. #10

    Re: oh my word--there are TWO "Kontact 2s"--??

    I have a Intel MacBook. Do I need KP2 to make it work?

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •