• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Tropicality"

Share/Bookmark

"Tropicality"

All,

This is "Tropicality". It is partial GPO.

Regards to y'all,

Larry

Re: "Tropicality"

Larry! You sure don't cease to amaze! You had me grinning ear to ear on this one. Nice solos. You must have had a great time with this. I love it!

Best,
    ~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Larry! You sure don't cease to amaze! You had me grinning ear to ear on this one. Nice solos. You must have had a great time with this. I love it!

Best,
    ~Paula
    I stayed pretty straight on the steel drums and didn't try to "play" any fancy stuff on them.

It pleases me that you took a liking to it, Miss Paula. Thanks.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Some really nice solos in this, Larry; like the
    trumpet work a great deal, especially.

Maybe you could spice up the percussion a
    bit? The persistent drum-machine rhythms
    don't seem consistent with the inventive and
    live-feeling solo work, to me.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Some really nice solos in this, Larry; like the
    trumpet work a great deal, especially.

Maybe you could spice up the percussion a
    bit? The persistent drum-machine rhythms
    don't seem consistent with the inventive and
    live-feeling solo work, to me.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    The mark of a good jazz small-group drummer is a rock-solid musician who "stays out of the way". When other members of the group are being featured with solos, the drummer is not the star of the show. His job is to provide a strong, non-showoff beat.

Thanks for listening and commenting, Mr. Dave. It means a lot to me.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Ah now--I was looking forward to this ever since you mentioned it on a previous thread.

It's ever bit as sophisticated as everything you compose and post. Very solid and wonderful on the ear.

By the way, I agree totally with you about what you have the drums doing in this. Though in our modern computerized music age we can tend to react to repeating patterns as sounding like a "drum machine" that isn't always fair. What you have here doesn't sound like a Casio tinka tink robotic thing--It's being "the invisible drummer" as you said. Works for me.

I like steel drums to have a bit stronger metallic tang to them, and not be so well tuned--but there Is a difference beween concert steel drums and those played in the streets. I believe you're using the more tame concert style in this.

This is great.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Ah now--I was looking forward to this ever since you mentioned it on a previous thread.

It's ever bit as sophisticated as everything you compose and post. Very solid and wonderful on the ear.

By the way, I agree totally with you about what you have the drums doing in this. Though in our modern computerized music age we can tend to react to repeating patterns as sounding like a "drum machine" that isn't always fair. What you have here doesn't sound like a Casio tinka tink robotic thing--It's being "the invisible drummer" as you said. Works for me.

I like steel drums to have a bit stronger metallic tang to them, and not be so well tuned--but there Is a difference beween concert steel drums and those played in the streets. I believe you're using the more tame concert style in this.

This is great.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I appreciate your good review, Brother Bowser. Gracias, Mon.

My steel drums leave something to be desired but it's all I have. I am steel drum challenged.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry, your output is mind-boggling!

some really nice solo action going on in this...this tune makes me want to buy that small carribean island that i've been eyeing...smooth stuff Larry...

josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Larry, your output is mind-boggling!

some really nice solo action going on in this...this tune makes me want to buy that small carribean island that i've been eyeing...smooth stuff Larry...

josh
    Thank you, Mr. Joshua, from Houston, Texas!

Please build a hut for me on your island. All I need is internet access.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: "Tropicality"

Larry,

A lovely listen. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could write jazz like this!

I agree with Randy's assessment about the steel drums. Were all the instruments from the Garritan Jazz library?

Cheerios
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast