• Register
  • Help

Topic: My take on a Military March

My take on a Military March

Here is my first attempt at a march. It will premier at our Spring Recital at the Johnson Ferry Conservatory of Music on the 12th of May here in Atlanta.

March Enfilade will be shown as an audio-visual presentation. That’s a glorified way of saying “Played to a Slide Show”. If you would like to see the video please visit my page on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/williamwestcomposer

or directly from You Tube:

Thank you for Listening!

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Re: My take on a Military March

A handsome, well-rendered march, William. Well done!

I watched the YouTube version with the slideshow --
    very effective presentation.

Good luck with and congratulations on the forthcoming

My best,

Really enjoyable, William!

I was pleasantly surprised that it's a march in the late 19th early 20th century tradition--very much that sensibility, which makes this especially delightful to me. I was expecting perhaps a more modern and bombastic John Williams influenced something or other--not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, but I just mean that I appreciate the relatively old fashioned delicacy of your piece.

Thank you Much!

Randy B.
    Last edited by rbowser-; 04-30-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo

David and Randy,
    Thank you so much for the kind words!

I forgot completely that I had added a little “dig” at my Composition Teacher at the end of the video. It was the least I could do after all he has put me (and his students) through! He is really an excellent teacher. He is going to ring my neck when he sees it!

Great work here, I enjoyed your march! Definitely well-rendered, the percussion sounded particularly nice. Great to hear from you again.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Orcas Island

Glad to hear another one of your works and this is quite a departure from what we've heard from you in the past. I enjoyed the YouTube slide show.
    Excellent work and I liked the old-style interpretation. More faithful to the visuals (to me). Some of the images were really neat.

Good luck with showing it at your Conservatory's Spring Recital next week.

I can't wait to hear this done possibly with the Marching Band library.

Thank you Gary and Sean,
    It is different than anything I have done previously. I like to think that my writing is getting a little better.

I’m finding that articulation is such an important part of any project – and very important for this one. GPO continues to delight me with it’s sound, expressiveness, and ease of use (once you figure out what you are writing).

I am looking forward to the Marching Band Library! I will certainly rework this when it becomes available!

Again, Thank you all for taking time to listen!

Hi, William

I've been wondering how the Spring Recital went!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum