• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Granados: Valses Poeticos (orchestrated!)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Granados: Valses Poeticos (orchestrated!)

I was flipping through my friend's book of piano music by Enrique Granados and I came across the Valses Poeticos (Poetic Waltzes) - I was a fan of his before, but now my appreciation is at a new level. These are absolutely charming little pieces, full of color and life. I set out to orchestrate one or two, but I soon realized I had to do the whole set. They are as follows:

Introduccion
    Vals Melodico
    Vals apsionado
    Vals lento
    Vals humoristico
    Vals brilliante
    Vals sentimental
    Vals mariposa (Butterfly Waltz)
    Vals ideal
    Final

I'm actually not sure if these have been orchestrated before - I'd be surprised if they weren't. These aren't strict orchestrations - there's a fair amount of arranging too - things like adding counter lines and flourishes, occasionally altering the harmony, altering some of the textures, tempos, etc. For vals lento, which is originally slow and soft throughout, I actually turned the first half of the "A" material into a pretty loud Spanish romp. For vals brilliante, (though marked allegretto) I brought the key down a minor third, from B-flat to G. There's originally a pause between the vals ideal and the finale (which is a reprise of melodico) - but I felt that as an orchestral suite, it needed to build and go right into the reprise in a more dramatic way. Everything was based on keeping within the spirit of the music, or bringing it out more. Hopefully, I did that, and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Get a cup of coffee - it's over 18 minutes!!

Granados: Valses Poeticos (full suite)

Re: Granados: Valses Poeticos (orchestrated!)

Josh,

A splendid, top-notch realisation. Well done! Nice bit of composition, too. I love hearing new themes/material, so thanks for bringing to the masses.

If I may make one artistic suggestion... mock-ups are sometimes let down by synth'd strings. I think if you added more controller changes throughout (like varying the amount of vibrato, introducing touches of tremolo here and there, etc), to shapen the strings, it would sweeten an otherwise excellent arrangement.

You should orchestrate this for a chamber or small orchestral group and get it performed!

Encore!
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Josh,

So nice to hear this - ths is a very nice work, and underperformed. For years it has been played on solo guitar, guitar duo, and guitar quartet, so I'm quite familiar with it. You've done a great job with the orchestral choices. The comment about the synthy strings is valid, though. One additional idea - weaving some solo instruments into the mix; a solo violin here, a solo viola there help the parts to stand out individually. You probably know this, already...

Liked the extensive use of the winds - they give a lightness that this music requires. Not all Spanish music is Andalusian! You capture the salon aspect wonderfully

It's odd - my next post will be the third of a set of Spanish Homages, and the third is Granados! When was the last time his name made it on to this board, I wonder. I could search, but wondering is so much more fun!

My goodness, this must have been a lot of work. Thanks for doing this. My guess is that this will a first time for many here to make an acquaintance with this fine piece. You do both GPO and Granados proud.

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hello, Josh

Ron said, "...My guess is that this will a first time for many here to make an acquaintance with this fine piece..." - and he's right. First time for me and I'm very taken with the charm and beauty of this music.

I can easily see why you were drawn back to these waltzes and wanted to live with them in the way we do when working on orchestral emulations.

I'm extremely impressed with your arrangement, and the recording is extremely good.

With coffee in hand, as you suggested, I can't imagine a better way for my morning to start--listening to your super fine work.

re: suggestions you've had on this thread for improving the strings--I would have to take a more critical listen to see if I agree. I've been so involved in taking in the whole effect of your work that whatever weaknesses there may be in the strings didn't strike me.

One more thought--One or two excellent projects have been posted here recently which Forum members described as The Best orchestral "renderings" ever shared here. I understood their enthusiasm, having listened to those pieces also, and being very impressed with them.

But I'm not prone to finding anything "the best"--I find every piece of music, every painting, every Anything so unique that exercises in comparison often just don't occur to me. Which is a round-about way to getting to the point that I feel your Enrique Granados project is as successful in its execution as Anything I've ever heard here in The Listening Room.

Applause of appreciation from me to you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Arrow Re: Granados: Valses Poeticos (orchestrated!)

Absolutely magnificent work on this, Josh!

I've had this looping through several passes,and will
    continue to enjoy a few more times, I'm sure.

The rendering, the orchestration and arranging most
    especially, are just stunningly good work, my friend.

With great pleasure, I say:

Bravo!

With much admiration and applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Josh,

This is beautiful! I enjoyed this over a cup of Starbucks as you suggested. Even had a second listen over a second cup (and now the theme is firmly stuck in my head)

The pieces are charming and your interpretation, arrangments and orchestration brought them to life. It's great that you are presenting Enrique Granados' music in a whole new way. Your use of contrast, ornamentation and color is excellent and more than does the work justice.

You have quite a talent for orchestration.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Steve - thanks for your comments! regarding the "synth'd" strings, it's funny you say that because i thought these were some of the best sounding strings i've produced - plus my ability to tweek sounds and controllers is very limited because at best i have a basic set-up - i was also trying not go over-elaborate with the orchestration or string effects... but yes, there were maybe one or two spots i thought maybe some tremelo would work, so something to consider for the future...thanks for listening!

Ron - i actually put solo strings along with each section for enhancement (i wonder, maybe the mp3 compression did something - i used 192k - because like i said to steve, i'm actually pretty happy with the sound), and used the single strings as solos several times (geez, alliteration!) - but anyway - i'm happy you're happy with it in general - i guess this was a lot of work, but it didn't really feel like it - i was having too much fun (except the mixing, which was a little stressful)...how funny you're doing an homage to Granados - the Spanish vibe must be floating about - i'll definitely be looking for that! thanks very much for your kind comments!

and thanks for your time - this was a long one!

josh

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Josh

Ron said, "...My guess is that this will a first time for many here to make an acquaintance with this fine piece..." - and he's right. First time for me and I'm very taken with the charm and beauty of this music.

I can easily see why you were drawn back to these waltzes and wanted to live with them in the way we do when working on orchestral emulations.

I'm extremely impressed with your arrangement, and the recording is extremely good.

With coffee in hand, as you suggested, I can't imagine a better way for my morning to start--listening to your super fine work.

re: suggestions you've had on this thread for improving the strings--I would have to take a more critical listen to see if I agree. I've been so involved in taking in the whole effect of your work that whatever weaknesses there may be in the strings didn't strike me.

One more thought--One or two excellent projects have been posted here recently which Forum members described as The Best orchestral "renderings" ever shared here. I understood their enthusiasm, having listened to those pieces also, and being very impressed with them.

But I'm not prone to finding anything "the best"--I find every piece of music, every painting, every Anything so unique that exercises in comparison often just don't occur to me. Which is a round-about way to getting to the point that I feel your Enrique Granados project is as successful in its execution as Anything I've ever heard here in The Listening Room.

Applause of appreciation from me to you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy - my, i really appreciate your words! It's interesting how you said how you know how i wanted to live with these pieces, because that's exactly how i felt - i kinda submerged myself and found myself thinking about Spain and what was going on around (and within) Granados while he wrote these pieces...this project was like therapy

and i'm simply flattered at your other comments as well - so, thank you - really

glad you had an excuse to drink some coffee!!

josh

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Absolutely magnificent work on this, Josh!

I've had this looping through several passes,and will
    continue to enjoy a few more times, I'm sure.

The rendering, the orchestration and arranging most
    especially, are just stunningly good work, my friend.

With great pleasure, I say:

Bravo!

With much admiration and applause,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, David! I'm very happy you liked it had it looping - 18 and a half minutes is a big loop - hope you don't go loopy! (i'm here every tuesday night, please tip the bartenders)...

I always enjoy your comments, my friend - and always good hearing from you!...

josh

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Josh,

This is beautiful! I enjoyed this over a cup of Starbucks as you suggested. Even had a second listen over a second cup (and now the theme is firmly stuck in my head)

The pieces are charming and your interpretation, arrangments and orchestration brought them to life. It's great that you are presenting Enrique Granados' music in a whole new way. Your use of contrast, ornamentation and color is excellent and more than does the work justice.

You have quite a talent for orchestration.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Wow - thanks Gary! i'm very happy that you enjoyed it and said such nice things ...and you gave me an idea - maybe Starbucks can hire me to put out long pieces of music so they can sell more coffee...you can get in on it too - we'll call it GPS! (Garritan Personal Starbucks)

but really, thanks for your comments, Gary - always appreciated...

josh

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast