• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Finale 2007 working well for everyone now?

Share/Bookmark

Is Finale 2007 working well for everyone now?

I followed the sticky thread re: “Finale 2007 and Garritan Libraries” on the GPO support forum and it looks like the last post was on 4/12/07 so I was just wondering if everyone is now happy with Finale 2007. The reason I ask is I just installed the GPO KP2 update and discovered that KP2 is not compatible with my Finale 2006 version (doesn’t recognize KP2 during the “Setup Wizard” phase so you have to reselect all of your GPO instruments all over again if you want to use KP2). I am a Windows XP user, own the full version of GPO and have been very happy with its use in Finale 2006 up until now when I discovered Finale 2006 would not recognize KP2 during the Setup Wizard phase.

Then just yesterday I checked my mail and lo and behold, I received an offer from MakeMusic to upgrade to the new Finale 2007 which, it states, now includes the new Kontakt Player 2 and “there’s nothing to configure!” There seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel…until this morning when I happened to stumble across the “Finale 2007 and Garritan Libraries” thread and discovered that people were encountering problems not only with installation and operation, but with Finale 2007 and its updates making their systems crash.

So my question (especially to Windows users who use the full version of GPO in Finale 2007) is have these kinks been worked out? Are your systems still crashing? Should I follow the pretty light or should I run…not walk, but RUN and not look back! …should I hide in the dark, but safe retreat of Finale 2006 and GPO/KP1 and wait until the inevitable, shimmering “Finale 2008” is at last unleashed and MakeMusic once again restores amends...?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Is Finale 2007 working well for everyone now?

Hello Frodo,

I am a Finale 2007c with full GPO user.

Presently I have my setup using the previous Kontakt Player with both GPO and JABB and everything works beautifully.

For most people, the problems seem to be with the new Kontakt 2 Player and this does cause problems in finale 07 .. I don't mean the Finale 07 version, I mean using K2 with full GPO. I did install the new K2 player and things did not go well. I should say that the NI update to K2 was 'unofficial' and not supported by Gary.

Northern Instruments claim now to have fixed the critical issue in K2 and this is presently with Gary and his team for testing, we are expecting the official release announcement very soon and I have been waiting on this.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

My experience with Finale 2007 is as follows. 2007 works fine with the full GPO, but not JABB, Stad etc. If you are not useing JABB, Strad and GoGo cello software for Garritan then I would just stick with Fi2007 and the full GPO. 2007b a lot of crashes! 2007c and full GPO multiple crashes. KP2 updates will cause Finale Humanplayback to not recognize articulations and some expressions. Pizz and arco for example. Also accent marks. When the programs and updages are processed they "update the registry" and can even affect how a program works after uninstall/reinstall.

I have actually had to do multiple uninstall/reinstalls. What has worked best is to go to prgrams files and delete all references to Finale 2007. Latest uninstall and reinstall 5/1/07. Finale 2007c was crashing after every 3rd or 4th play/stop/replay during playback. Crashing about ten times or more within an hour. I have not had a chance to work much with the program today. However, 2007 and full GPO did not crash on me.

Finale 2007 is great. I did not own Finale prior to 2007 version. I will however wait for at least six months before I try any type of upgrade from any source.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

I'm continuing to have difficulty with Finale 2007c. Everything was working well with 2007b after making changes in the .dll file as indicated by Finale support. Then after updating to 2007c (primarily for HP and JABB) I started having random crashes. Reinstalling the suggested FinaleVSTHost.dll has not helped. At this time I cannot load any of the Garritan instruments without immediately crashing Finale. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall Finale.

Wish me luck.

David M.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc
    I'm continuing to have difficulty with Finale 2007c. Everything was working well with 2007b after making changes in the .dll file as indicated by Finale support. Then after updating to 2007c (primarily for HP and JABB) I started having random crashes. Reinstalling the suggested FinaleVSTHost.dll has not helped. At this time I cannot load any of the Garritan instruments without immediately crashing Finale. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall Finale.

Wish me luck.

David M.
    David M. after you uninstall Finale through the "uninstall procedure" go to programs files and copy the files in the Finale VST folder and save them in a folder on your desk top. Delete the Finale 2007 folder and the Finale GPO folder. There may be a Finale 2006 folder as well move it from the programs folder to your desk top and keep it there for safe keeping. There are two files you will need later. Reinstall the Finale 2007 and good luck. If you want to use JABB then you will need to get information from someone on this site who uses them. If you don't delete the Finale 2007 and Finale GPO folders the reinstall will simple overwrite the existing files and the same issues will be there. I reinstalled more than ten times. Only after deletin these files did I get a clean reinstall.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Samantha:

Thanks for the advice. I will probably try to do this tonight after work if possible. As soon as I do I'll let you know the results.

Hopefully I can find a way to continue to use JABB as well. I have been using them both (GPO and JABB) recently.

David M.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    ...so I was just wondering if everyone is now happy with Finale 2007.
    Glad you asked this Frodo. I'm happy with F2007 and full GPO - but I've had to go back to the very original F2007. I was just about to post to see whether it's safe to try 2007c again. I'm inclined to wait for 2008 but as I've said before (in as many words) I'd rather see the whole thing rationalised and thoroughly tested - even if it means paying a little more for an upgrade. Trouble is, we have three parties at work here all working to bring us the very best - GPO, Finale (with input from the Human Playback expert RP) and NI. This is not an easy technical or commercial undertaking but I remain hopeful things will be resolved (or at least clarified) sooner or later. Or maybe GPO Advanced will come to the rescue. I'm putting my money on the latter provided it's compatible with earlier Finale / GPO / HP renderings!

Regards, Graham

Thumbs up Re: Is Finale 2007 working well for everyone now?

Thanks everyone for the replies. This helps me to see where things are standing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Trouble is, we have three parties at work here all working to bring us the very best - GPO, Finale (with input from the Human Playback expert RP) and NI. This is not an easy technical or commercial undertaking but I remain hopeful things will be resolved (or at least clarified) sooner or later. Or maybe GPO Advanced will come to the rescue. I'm putting my money on the latter provided it's compatible with earlier Finale / GPO / HP renderings!
    I agree. My bet is definitely on Gary and his team to really get all the kinks worked out of this thing. A great bunch of lads.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

MakeMusic is more concerned with the engraver quality of the software. Sound is a secondary issue. I believe they want the best sound they can get for the software, but it is not a top priority. GPO main function is sound quality and Gary strives for the best is the business at an affordable price. NI and all other involved in this process have their own particular priorities as well. As it has been stated this a massive undertaking to produce a software that gives engraver quality notation, the sound of real orchestral instruments, a player that can make that possible with Human playback features.

When I think how monumental the task is my patience grows even deeper, wider and higher; and so does my respect for the people involved in this resplendent gift to composers and ultimately the people who will listen to the computer generated version. I trilled to be a part of this because I know I am surrounded by greate minds of some of the worlds most truly gifted people.

I feel that in time we will have a tool that will have a profound effect of future generations of composers. All of this brings to mind what it must have been like when the piano was created and gave people a way to create music in a way that had never been done before on such a high level.

Frodo doesn't this feel like your very first journey away from the Shire. Gary is like Gandolf.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 05-01-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: word choice
    Samantha Penigar

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    I agree. My bet is definitely on Gary and his team to really get all the kinks worked out of this thing. A great bunch of lads.
    We are working with Finale and Native Instruments trying to get the kinks out (as you say). We hope to have the new player/updates at any time. Finale is also hard at work at it.

Thanks all for your continued patience. You people are the best.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum