• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Luxembourg Scherzo (KOWALSKI)

Share/Bookmark

Luxembourg Scherzo (KOWALSKI)

I've put work on a couple of other pieces on hold temporarily while I work out a contest entry.

Here is the scherzo movement of a symphony in miniature written for this occasion. The instrumentation is per their guidelines.

Luxembourg Scherzo

Instrumentation (GPO/JABB):
    1 Clarinet
    1 Bass carinet
    1 Soprano saxophone
    1 Alto saxophone
    1 Horn
    1 Tuba
    2 Violins
    1 Viola
    1 Cello
    1 Bass
    Piano
    Vibraphone

There will be three movements, and final target length of 8-9 minutes.
    Last edited by Skysaw; 06-13-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: updated link
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Luxembourg Scherzo (KOWALSKI)

Jamie,

This is great - kind of creepy, in a good way. Could it, perhaps, go a little faster? It felt a little slow to me, but just in spots. Perhaps more listening will set me straight. Nice texture(s), a lot of openness. I imagine the spatial quality of ideas being traded back and forth will read well in a live performance.

Good luck with the competition.

Do post the rest of the movements!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Jamie--I was completely captivated by this. Quite an anxious texture that has me wandering some interesting and strange hallways.

Best wishes on the competition! The judges won't have a choice but to sit up and take note.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

this is a cool piece. i absolutely love the pizzicato strings, that occasional bass thump is great. i really like the way you jumped from major to minor - i've only listened once so far, so i'm not sure about this, but it sounded like it was all off the same tonic. anyway, cool piece - i like the orchestra hit at the end. it might even be cool to add another part that was really loud - maybe thats the guitar player in me though. great orchestration also, thanks for posting.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

A fascinating work. Your orchestration is rendered in crystal-clarity with the listed instrumentation in full evidence. I also appreciate your strong sense of rhythm.

Sean

I tend to jump when I see new Kowalski music in the Listening Room... sometimes i'm really in a mood to hear something kind of different, off the beaten path but not avant-garde - and this is exactly what i'd hope to find - i absolutely love the blue-grass/deep-south influence, which is definitely an influence for me as well...this piece is pretty addictive - i'm on my 4th listen (great ending too)...congrats - i'll be looking for the rest...

josh

Good luck mate,

sounds very good indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Jamie,

This is great - kind of creepy, in a good way. Could it, perhaps, go a little faster? It felt a little slow to me, but just in spots. Perhaps more listening will set me straight. Nice texture(s), a lot of openness. I imagine the spatial quality of ideas being traded back and forth will read well in a live performance.

Good luck with the competition.
    Thank you for the kind review and the suggestion. It's possible I may up the tempo a hair, but I'm going to sit with it for awhile before deciding. Many times I have written a fast piece only to decide later to slow it down a bit.

Do post the rest of the movements!
    Will do! One of the other two movements is actually complete, but I'm not ready to share just yet, as I'm contemplating some tweaks first.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Jamie--I was completely captivated by this. Quite an anxious texture that has me wandering some interesting and strange hallways.

Best wishes on the competition! The judges won't have a choice but to sit up and take note.
    Thanks, Randy. I will now consider this my official "sit-up-and-take-note" movement! Of the three planned movements, I'm not sure where to put it... do I want them to sit up at the beginning, middle, or end?
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    this is a cool piece. i absolutely love the pizzicato strings, that occasional bass thump is great. i really like the way you jumped from major to minor - i've only listened once so far, so i'm not sure about this, but it sounded like it was all off the same tonic. anyway, cool piece - i like the orchestra hit at the end. it might even be cool to add another part that was really loud - maybe thats the guitar player in me though. great orchestration also, thanks for posting.
    Hi Keith. Thanks for posting and for the kind words.

I didn't conceive of the piece being in a major or minor key. I just used the pitches that worked for me. The beginning of each fast section is pretty much a dorian mode, but becomes more and more atonal towards the end, however, with the strong single-note ostinato, it very much gives it a flavor of having a tonic.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast