• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "1955" - JABB, GPO and--Theremin--!?!

"1955" - JABB, GPO and--Theremin--!?!

Taking a momentary break from posting more from my stage musical or Gilbert and Sullivan, I want to share something completely different.

This is a recent project of mine featuring JABB brass, clarinet, bass and drums, GPO strings and a free VST emulation of the famous Theremin that I found online awhile back.

I'm in the early stages of a Science Fiction theatre piece set in the 1950's. This is the first thing to emerge from the idea. The melody, sometimes carried by Trumpet, sometimes carried by Clarinet, is intended to have lyrics and be sung. For now, it's an instrumental and I went this far mastering the tracks in order to inspire me to delve more into the germ of an idea I have for a musical.

For those interested in more details about what I used in this recording--the piano is a combination of the JABB Steinway and my Korg X5dr hardware module, the Ventures-like guitar is from the Dyad DXi sample player in Sonar. Several different reverbs are used, including the Acoustic Mirror from Sound Forge.

The Theremin VST instrument is really fun to play, with many possibilities beyond the basic and classic Sci-Fi sound we all know. I scrambled its parameters some in this piece, recording automation of its many control knobs.

Randy B.
    Last edited by rbowser-; 05-01-2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: forgot to include the link!

Re: "1955" - JABB, GPO and--Theremin--!?!

Thanks for sharing this, Randy.

Out of curiosity, how would one go about securing this Theremin VST instrument for oneself, if one should desire to, especially THIS one.
    Steve A. Gallant

Hello, Steve

There are actually quite a number of Theremin emulations available, as a Google search will show you.

But this one I found through good ol KVR Audio. Here's the link:

Randy B.

Fancy yourself as Brian Wilson now Randy,

Get that surf board out!

Great stuff

This is a clever and fun piece of music. I am especially interested in your use of that plug-in. Such sound manipulation greatly expands our musical palette when using GPO.

Thanks for listening, Sean.

I enjoy using a combination of unnatural sounds with acoustic emulations like GPO. In my biggest projects, my stage musical for instance, I often use synth textures mixed in with the orchestra. Interesting blends can emerge doing that, as you said.

And Ray!--Thanks, buddy. Yeah, got a number of styles in this, including a dash of Surf. It was a kick doing this.

Randy B.
    Last edited by rbowser-; 05-01-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: forgot to thank Ray!

My first impression on this was, Wow! What a rippin' good time!

And it is.

I've been relistening this a number of times, though, Randy, and
    holy cow... the craft and skill and detail in this is just plain superb.
    So is the arranging on it -- that roll-over bridge into the slower material
    at ~ 1:05 (and back again at ~ 1:35) is sheer silkworks. The use of
    contrast, the instrumentation, the good sense to lay off the Theremin
    so it didn't get cloying... and a few dozen other things all mark this
    as all-pro work of the best caliber.

With admiration,

I'm a sucker for the Theremin but this is a great song all around and I'd love to hear it in a musical too. Hope to hear more of what you have in mind!

There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Rollicking good fun! Makes me think of the Munsters on a game show.

Definitely brought a smile to my face.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Shelton, Washington State

Much more interesting music than was popular in 1955. It's basically entertaining but also has enough twists to satisfy a more thoughtful listener. I can hear the vocals.

Is this going to be the thinking person's Grease?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast