• Register
  • Help

Topic: Private Libraries?

Private Libraries?

Just wondered if anyone here use private libraries, (orchestral, choir, ethnic, whatever...)?

I've noticed that most (successful) composers use private libraries ( and not just the hollywood bigboys like Hans etc.), and I wondered if it is any particular reason why people would use/record a private library with all the excellent commercial libraries available today.

Re: Private Libraries?

I would imagine that many private libraries in use now by big name composers were probably started well before the virtual instrument revolution came about, and additionally, that they are constantly growing and shifting. The prime reason you would have a private library of any kind would be because it's tailored to your needs; mass-marketed VIs and sample CDs are targeted to a (relatively) large audience. Your own custom samples will no doubt fit your music and workflow much better. Selling such samples might not make sense because they might not fit for anyone else.

Then there is the issue of trade secrets. A private library could potentially sound better or be easier to use than items on the market (or both), and thus, having it and using it would provide an edge over competing composers. The QLSO sound is incredibly recognizable, for example. There are many sample CDs and instruments that are as well (I won't name any more names.) Doesn't mean they are bad products, but considering how many people want to break into the field of composing for media and how few jobs there actually are, some people will take any competitive advantages they can get.

I don't have any custom or private libraries, for the record, as my focus leans towards electronic music, thus I can just program existing synths.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Yeah, it kinda makes sense the way you put it. What I don't understand is how some can afford to make these private libraries, if they are not allready writing for big money and almost certain to get more jobs.

I think it is interesting to know though, how many people on this forum uses private libraries.

A private library doesn't necessarily have to be a wide range of articulations from a 70 piece orchestra. It could be something as simple as a friend from college recording some trumpet parts for you, or various processed bits taken from the end of a 3 hours recording session. Plus it could be something you accumulate over time, rather than recording it all in one block, which would be prohibitively expensive. It's hard to know for sure what people really mean when they say they have a private library.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I think one of the main reasons people record their private samples is to allow modification of the sounds such as shortening staccato samples for very fast passages, and so forth. Commercial library production companies often forbid and sometimes go to elaborate measures to prevent user editing of their samples. Renting versus owning a house may, in my opinion, serve as an appropriate analogy.

I think most of composers have their private libraries, me too.

For example, I have resampled many sounds by equing, mixing and so on... . I built many stacksounds and resampled them, at least this is also a way to reduce the powerneeds from the computer... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Orcas Island

Sometimes a composer has their own vision of what they want their sound to be like and they record their own library accordingly. If they make their own library, the way they want, they will be intimately familiar with the sounds and be assured they have have the sound they are striving for. Just as composers prefer a particular orchestra, or seating arrangement, or instrument configuration, or particular hall - they can customize a soundset to to their liking.

An example is Jeremy Soule, a well know game composer. Although Jeremy uses commercial libraries (like GPO & GOS ), he went through great lengths to record his own orchestral library. Jeremy has a signature sound and has his own particular way of arranging and orchestrating. A private library helps him work the way he likes to work and to acheive the sound he is after.

Gary Garritan

I have a private "library", (i.e. only two instruments at the moment). I happen to have a hammered dulcimer and a bodhran, so I sampled them and I can use them in my pieces. I found some free dulcimer libraries, but they were too dark sounding, so I just sampled my own. That's why I have private samples.

I have many multi samples of rock brass sections (bone, sax, trumpet) that I made for a project that I never got to finish. I ran out of money for drums, and it NEEDS real (and top-notch) drums, since it has a plethora of complicated, hard grooving live bass and drum riffs.

Just thinking about it makes me depressed. Some of the tracks are the best songs ever, especially the disgustingly ultra-pop-from-chamber-music-hell song titled "Love Love Love". Oh man, that song is a mega hit waiting to happen. Oh well, I guess some things are too good for reality and are destined to rot in undeserved obscurity.

I can hear it in my head now... the driving drum groove, the awesome melodic tapped bassline, and the staccato 'du-du-du---du---du--BWAHHHHHHH" brass blasts, then its quiets down for a moment, and the delayed muted guitar riff and solo female voice sweetly intones...

I am so completely digressing right now.

I have a private library of the most common orchestral instruments. The reason being to get a more natural/unprocessed sounds that many commercial libraries don't have. More "human" if you will - it won't replace the commercial libraries I have, but is a good addition.

If I were to invest money in it again I would focus only on strings (although I'm curious what commertial string libraries will come out this year).

Go Back to forum