• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I need some help . . . again!

Share/Bookmark

I need some help . . . again!

Working on a small arrangement in Sonar 6. I am using 3 GPO instruments and one Dimension Pro instrument. Got everything set up correctly (I think) and recorded my 4 MIDI tracks. Piece plays fine. Bounced each track to audio separately. Waveforms show up properly in each audio track. However, when I play the piece, all of the GPO instruments show up on the same fader (in Console view.) When I change the track properties of one of the GPO tracks to the Stereo 3+4 input I lose the sound of that track.

My question is: What have I not set up correctly so that each GPO audio track will sound in it's own track?

I hope I'm describing my problem with enough clarity that someone can figure this out for me.

I have the GPO Player set up as follows:
    Slot 1 - Solo Violin - MIDI Channel 1
    Slot 2 - Section Strings - MIDI Channel 3
    Slot 3 - F. Horn - MIDI Channel 4

MIDI Channel 2 is the DimPro Acoustic 12 string

The way it is working right now does not allow me to automate the individual track volumes.

Thanks in advance.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: I need some help . . . again!

Hi, Jaybee

You were close to figuring out the problem when you said:

"...When I change the track properties of one of the GPO tracks to the Stereo 3+4 input I lose the sound of that track..."

What you need to do is to open up the GPO Kontact player, and in the lower right corner of the data screen above the keyboard, you will see 1/2. Click that until you see a list of choices.

Each of your GPO instruments not only needs to be on a different MIDI channel, but needs to be routed through a different stereo pair of audio outs.

So the 8 slots in Kontact should be assigned:

1 = 1/2
    2 = 3/4
    3 = 5/6
    4 = 7/8
    5 = 9/10
    6 = 11/12
    7 = 13/14
    8 = 15/16

Anticipating your thoughts--yes, it would have been Much better for those audio out settings to be part of the defaults. But they aren't.

If you don't assign each instrument its own DXi out, you will get exactly what you experienced--all the sounds coming out of one audio track.

If you don't have all the requisite audio tracks in your project, simply insert them and point their outs properly.

When you first set up your projects, you can ask for "all synth outs" when you insert a Kontact instance, and all 8 tracks will appear in the project.

Doing it as I've described is the only way to get separate bounced tracks also--if you're bouncing to audio before mixing.

Try it. You'll like it.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

When you first set up your projects, you can ask for "all synth outs" when you insert a Kontact instance, and all 8 tracks will appear in the project.

Doing it as I've described is the only way to get separate bounced tracks also--if you're bouncing to audio before mixing.

Thanks, Randy. I actually did that when I inserted the GPO. But, if I understand correctly, I still need to configure each instrument. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

"... if I understand correctly, I still need to configure each instrument..."

That's right, Jerry. Without changing the outputs in the Kontact player itself, everything will be coming out of that first DXi track. Not a great design--throws Everyone off at first.

That was the only thing I didn't get in your original post. You said that you had bounced everything down to audio and everything was on its own track--That couldn't have been quite accurate.

But get back to us when you've tried my instructions out.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,

That worked . . . I think. I'm still having trouble with one of the tracks bouncing properly but I did get each audio track working. I have a volume problem with one of the tracks that doesn't appear as a problem as a MIDI track. I can adjust the trim on the audio track but it plays havoc with my mix.

I appreciate your help.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee
    Randy,

...I'm still having trouble with one of the tracks bouncing properly...a volume problem with one of the tracks that doesn't appear as a problem as a MIDI track. I can adjust the trim on the audio track but it plays havoc with my mix...
    Good deal, it sounds like you have the basic operations of this working properly, thanks for letting us know.

With a bit more info, maybe this second problem can be figured out.

What is the nature of the "volume problem?" Too hot or too soft? Are you sure the DXi fader is at the correct level you need before you do the bounce?

If it's coming out at the wrong volume, which is odd, why isn't the trim pot fixing things rather than playing havoc? That's often a good way to make adjustments to tracks--for instance when you have a lot of volume envelope work done, but it turns out that the whole track should be either softer or louder in a mix. Rather than re-doing all the complicated volume envelope work, you just adjust the trim pot.

One thing I've found is that Fast Bounce isn't always reliable. Though it takes extremely longer to do a bounce with Fast un-checked, I do that on a routine basis to insure that I get a bounce sounding exactly as it does before I bounce.

Explain with a bit more detail, maybe a solution will occur to me or someone else reading this thread.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,
    I think I got it worked out. I had to play with the trim on the solo violin track to bring it up. Although the faders were where they were supposed to be, the audio volume on that track was much lower than the other tracks. I did get it working reasonably well.

Mixing is not something I'm very good at yet. But here is a link to the track and everyone can listen and give me any help as you see fit. Just remember, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.

edit - remove incorrect link 5/2/07 - 12:25 a.m.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Hi--Are you sure you posted the correct link? It's an organ solo--But earlier you described this as the set up of your project:

"I have the GPO Player set up as follows:
    Slot 1 - Solo Violin - MIDI Channel 1
    Slot 2 - Section Strings - MIDI Channel 3
    Slot 3 - F. Horn - MIDI Channel 4

MIDI Channel 2 is the DimPro Acoustic 12 string"

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

That's strange. I checked the link and it worked but now it does indeed link to the wrong file. Try this one.

http://job.sonicpresence.com/music/Aberystwyth.mp3
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Randy,
    I was just wondering if you ever got a chance to listen to the piece. I really would like some feedback. I don't know why the original link was defective but it is now pointing to the correct file.

Thanks.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Go Back to forum