• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What do you think?

Share/Bookmark

What do you think?

Hey,

It's me again! I wanted to know your opinion on this one, so here goes:

What do you think? Should a composer have a complete spectrum of sounds that cover alot of different genres, or should a composer only use sounds that covers the genres he/she is the most confident with?

EDIT:

Sorry, wrong forum..

Re: What do you think?

Hi, Equizer

Why do you think this is the wrong Forum for your topic?--This is General Discussion, so it seems correct to me. It wouldn't be as fitting in the Listening Room, since that's for posting recordings. Maybe a moderator will agree with you and move your thread, but it seems fine here to me.

"...should a composer only use sounds that covers the genres he/she is the most confident with..."

How interesting. Nothing like that has ever occured to me. This is presupposing that only a limited number of "sounds" are appropriate for each genre of music.

In this eclectic age, I don't think it's helpful to think that there are limitations on what sounds or instruments are to be used in Any kind of music. If someone is writing for the orchestra--is the piano excluded because that's not traditionally part of a symphonic orchestra? Are blatantly synthesized sounds out of the question when writing orchestral music?--I shouldn't think so.

And as composers working with computers, I think we should feel free to use every sound we can think of, and More--beyond what we can think of!

The other part of the question is about composers staying with genres they are "comfortable" with. Well, it can be argued that since nobody can ever truly master any one genre, he/she may as well concentrate in one area and go on forever in that niche.

But I would say that to force oneself to work in unfamiliar territory is a wonderful invitation to broadening our horizons. I love that feeling I can have when I step into un-tried territory--the feeling that I don't know What the heck I'm doing. I think that's healthy--to give ourselves challenges that keep us humble, and keep reminding us that we are always in the class room, and that no one ever graduates.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I didn't actually mean it in the sense of.. the sounds that belong to a certain genre but moreso as: I can only write symphonic music so i only buy GPO or EWQLSO.

I also agree that exploring uncovered terrain is quite exciting. And why not go the extra mile and experiment with something crazy, like putting an whole orchestra through a guitar amp! (like Hans Zimmer did with The Kraken)

Or adding a banjo?

Hello again, Equizer

"...I didn't actually mean it in the sense of.. the sounds that belong to a certain genre but moreso as: I can only write symphonic music so i only buy GPO or EWQLSO..."

But that's saying the same thing again, isn't it? It's saying that someone wanting to write symphonic music has to be limited to just traditional orchestral instruments---he "shouldn't" be using Saxophones, for instance. And I think we're both agreeing, this is too limiting. Symphonic music? OK--how about with electric guitars added to the orchestera, like in "Mr. Holland's Opus."

And so forth.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Depends on where you're aiming.

For example if I was aiming to be a concert hall composer alone,with live performances, I didn't need anything but Sibelius/Finale/Notion.

Now that aim to computer games I need to be versetile to all kinds of music really. From orchestral to R&B! Thing is of course that I'm always best to orchestral scores. There is where my profesiancy lies. Buit of course it's always exciting to try new things out

Well, my daughter loves the Titanic movie and I bought her the soundtrack and I was stunned at the amount of electronic sounds used. Horner uses synth sounds with choir patches all over the album. And, I don't think Mark Knopfler used anything but synths for Princess Bride. (These are just 2 of a zillion examples.) Donald Erb is a composer that uses electonics in his orchestral compositions. Pop music incorporates orchestral music, too. I'm not sure what my point is, but I don't think it hurts to have a variety of libraries at your disposal no matter what genre you are writing. I am hoping that a new genre mutates from everyone's access to so many libraries.

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Hi, Nikolas

"...if I was aiming to be a concert hall composer alone,with live performances, I didn't need anything but Sibelius/Finale/Notion..."

I can't but help add to that list--Sonar/Cubase/Pro Tools. Based on the results I hear from composers using various computer programs, I still feel that people using audio/MIDI programs like the "sequencers" (Sonar etc) more consistently produce the best musical results.

Of course your list is of programs for realizing music, it doesn't include the libraries/sounds used inside those programs. Someone aiming to write "concert hall" music, as you termed it, could very well still be including instruments not in the traditional orchestra. Modern music of the "serious" variety often greatly expands the instrumental palette beyond the choices in GPO, for instance.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Equizer
    Hey,

It's me again! I wanted to know your opinion on this one, so here goes:

What do you think? Should a composer have a complete spectrum of sounds that cover alot of different genres, or should a composer only use sounds that covers the genres he/she is the most confident with?

EDIT:

Sorry, wrong forum..
    That's something that worries me. I've spent my whole life, to date, learning to craft stuff for orchestra, and I've kind of learned to bluff a few other styles by ear. But there's just SO much to learn. Murphy's law says that the first person who gives me a paying job is going to ask for Dream Theatre, with a hint of BT and Ladysmith Black Mambazo, done on bagpipes and kazoo.

So we all agree on the same thing, huh!

Go Back to forum