• Register
  • Help

Topic: Former RUBY KHSL now modular - a good thing ?

Share/Bookmark

Former RUBY KHSL now modular - a good thing ?

Hello All,

I'm the satisfied owner of Kirk Hunter's Emerald Symphonic Library for Kontakt. It's really a terrific resource.

I was very excited to know that when I bought it, that an upgrade to the whole RUBY library was coming sometime, and I was looking forward to doing the upgrade...

Now, I see that the package-deal of RUBY has now been switched to individual modules. Aside from the given reasons of better sound quality, etc., how will this differ from the previously promised package of RUBY ? How will the pricing be different in modular form versus the total package I originally thought I would be able to add to my Emerald...

I dunno... From first instincts about the change, it seems that perhaps it was a better value when it was in the RUBY form. I get the feeling that perhaps the pricing went up when it was decided that making it "modular" was a better business move...?

Comments ? I just feel kind of let down, as I thought RUBY as a whole, would really complete the (few) holes that Emerald has. Now, I feel like we're going to have to hassle with three or four separate packages now ( and three separate, increased (?) pricing points... ?

Tell me if I'm wrong about this hunch I have about this change in RUBY.

Thanks much,
    John.

Re: Former RUBY KHSL now modular - a good thing ?

Hi John,

Don't worry, we are going to structure an upgrade path that will be equal in value to the previously stated "Ruby" path. The reason we went "Modular" was because the thing was just getting TOO big to make it available as a full package alone. (It was also the opinion of some very reputable composers and arrangers here in Hollywood that the name switch should happen as well.) So as we release products "modularly", the discounts to Emerald owners will be stated. As you already know, prices at kirkhunterstudios have always been an amazing deal, and we'll make every effort to see that the same value is affixed to Virtuoso Series Pro.

Best,
    Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the quick reply ! Well, I'm relieved to hear that you've set the package(s) up the way you describe... To date - I have been so happy with your Emerald library, and am so looking forward to completing my symphonic palette with your Virtuoso Series ! Everything in your Emerald library I've used just "feels" right ; I have received many compliments and inquiries as to what symphonic library I use on my scoring tracks, and of course, I always give you full credit and recommend them to your site.

I'll look forward to getting the complete Virtuoso Series Pro ; can't wait !! Let me know when it's "off the press", as I want the first copy !

Keep up the great work and amazing support,
    John.

I try to put up a progress on VPro at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/vpro.php

So far, for EXS24, we are on time. Kontakt 2.2 will be a bit longer.

Thanks again,
    Kirk

I'm actually really looking forward to this.

I have been planning on buying emerald for some time, but some financial changes in my life have put a halt to most of my purchases. Really though all I need right now is solo strings. Knowing I can buy those separately is pretty cool. it give me some breathing room before I take on repairing my next weakest link.

can't wait!

However, I'm still somewhat sad that Giga is no longer supported in Ruby. After purchasing Emerald for a while, it now appears to be not so good as a long-term investment as upgrade paths are important to me. And I'm not so keen to switch to Kontakt. Don't get me wrong - Emerald is still excellent, and I'll use it for a long time. It's just the thinking that I cannot use Ruby within Giga disappoints me. Perhaps I'm the minority.

So, it appears I have to consider looking at Westgate modular libraries...

Wink Re: Former RUBY KHSL now modular - a good thing ?

Aw Cheez,

That's how I feel exactly. There are few developers producing Giga. It doesn't matter why. Placing blame is futile. I was building toward a satisfying library with Kirk Hunter - Concert Strings, concert brass, Emerald. Looks like a wrong direction with both.

What's the good news?

I am waiting for Garritan to get his system on the market. New Player, new instruments, better sequencer and I hope a notation program as strong as Overture 4. Will he meet the -yes, but what have you done for me lately? - expectation of those who have his previous products? Will he meet the expectations of those who see what he has done and are hoping for in a time frame that doesn't let us wander off to piece together something else?

We wait. We watch. We hope.

Best to everyone,
    tony

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha
    Aw Cheez,

That's how I feel exactly. There are few developers producing Giga. It doesn't matter why. Placing blame is futile. I was building toward a satisfying library with Kirk Hunter - Concert Strings, concert brass, Emerald. Looks like a wrong direction with both.

What's the good news?

I am waiting for Garritan to get his system on the market. New Player, new instruments, better sequencer and I hope a notation program as strong as Overture 4. Will he meet the -yes, but what have you done for me lately? - expectation of those who have his previous products? Will he meet the expectations of those who see what he has done and are hoping for in a time frame that doesn't let us wander off to piece together something else?

We wait. We watch. We hope.

Best to everyone,
    tony
    There are many offerers, who giga now no more does offer. That has its reason, because Giga is not as versatile long as contact 2.

About what do we talk here? The technical development now times constantly progresses, and that is well like that. Why had Gary probably decided also for the contact 2?

I think, Kirk goes the right way with this, and both Garys and Kirk `s new libraries will be very good. I always liked both...
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

It is possible that a player version of the Virtuoso Series Pro modules will be created. So don't get too upset....yet.

Is there any word out yet about the price?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum