• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Gigue" for large orchestra

"Gigue" for large orchestra

This is a sort of "pops" type piece I wrote a few years ago, that I've been slowly working on with re-orchestration ever since.

I have NO idea where the idea for it came from, I suspect it could have been an attempt to imitate John Williams in The Witches of Eastwick, thus the jaunty little jig tune.

It's a simple ternary form, a lively first section (with a brief dissonant crescendo passage... have to be true to my roots ), a smooth adagio middle section alternating 5/4 and 4/4 sections, and a lively fuga on an ostinato accompaniment as a finale.

This certainly taxes GPO quite a bit (and Finale!!)...
    piccolo (Piccolo solo V)
    2 flutes (Flute solo V, and Flute player 1)
    2 oboes (Oboe 1 modern, player 1 and 2)
    english horn (English horn 1 solo)
    2 clarinets (Bb Clarinet, player 1 and 2)
    bass clarinet (Bass Clarinet, player 1)
    2 bassoons (Bassoon 1, player 1 and Bassoon 2, player 1)
    contrabassoon (Contrabassoon 1 solo)

4 horns (French horn 1 solo and French horn 1, players 1, 2, 3)
    3 trumpets (Trumpet 1 KS, players 1, 2, 3)
    3 trombones (Tenor trombone KS players 1, 2, 3)
    tuba (Tuba 1 solo)

(some of the percussion share Kontact players, but most are individual channels... gives me more control over dynamics)
    snare drum
    bass drum

Harp (Harp 1 KS)

1st violins (two channels: Violin 1 section KS, and Violin 1 short ag KS)
    2nd violins (two channels: Violin 2 section KS, and Violin 2 short ag KS)
    violas (two channels: Viola section KS, and Violas short ag KS)
    cellos (two channels: Cello section KS, and Cello short ag KS)
    contrabass (two channels: Bass section KS, and Bass short ag KS)

Re: "Gigue" for large orchestra

Great text introduction! Now I'm ready for the link!

Randy B.

HAHAHA... SOOOO sorry!!!!!

I was so preoccupied with writing out all those GPO instrument names I completely forgot to insert the LINK!

Well, it's corrected now.

I only just realized there are little glitches in the recording as well.. I'll come back to it a bit later and correct those (make a cleaner recording). It just takes time to upload to my website.

oops - this was for a different post. soooooooooooooooorry.

this was an awesome sounding piece. i loved the rhythmic aspects of it. i don't realy know what else to say though, so i'll leave it at very nicely done.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hello again, Michel--I'm glad you saw my first reply so soon, because as you can see, I was patiently waiting here for the link. Now I'm writing again directly after being SO THOROUGHLY ENTERTAINED--!!

Wondrous piece--Exciting composition, Excellent execution. I am thrilled with this and will play it again as soon as I've posted this, with the volume up even more.

There have been several excellent orchestral pieces posted here recently, with such well-done recordings that each one has been hailed as "the best" ever posted here. Well, there is of course no "best"--But THIs at least has to be added to that list of "exceptional orchestral emulations." I've not heard any which are More "convincing."

You're a perfectionist I see, and want to fix some things in the recording--fine, do that and you'll be happier.

But I couldn't be more impressed. Hats off to you, Michel!

Randy B.

Hehehe, glad you enjoyed it...

It's funny, that thread on contemporary music and dissonance and all that was what set me to working on this again.

It's rather obviously not meant to be "avant garde" in any way. I was really setting out to write a "crowd pleaser"... of course, I'm part of that crowd too.

In all honesty, I think the slow section is a bit clichéd, but I still like it.

This is the first time I've used Note Expressions in Finale to change GPO channels so I could use different articulations (the Short Ag KS samples). So I made invisible expressions that switched each of the string sections to alternate channels with the alternate articulations. It was a bit tedious, but it worked well (those repeated notes in the fuga in the strings, are from the Short ag KS samples) .

A most enjoyable ride, listening to your "pop" orchestra.
    And recorded from Finale with no use of a DAW.
    With such good writing I hesitate to give any hint of criticism.
    At 1:47 the snare is a bit machine gun like but that is a minor issue in such a piece. Well done indeed.

My best

my earlier comment was actually meant for a different post - i just noticed .

this was a really cool piece. i listened to it before i read your description. its funny that you mentioned john williams, because the first thing i thought of when i heard it was e.t. i think it was the pulse feel in the beginning. his music has a strong feeling to it that makes it very distinct to other composers (hes my favorite composer of all time, just a step above rachmoninov in my opinion).

i really liked the solo french horn sections where it was soaring above the other instruments - i always do. it has a very powerful sound to it (not in terms of dynamics, just mood) and demands attention.

i think that if you used a DAW and really mixed it well it would sound pretty amazing, but thats just my opinion. either way it was a great piece and i'll be looking forward to more of your stuff.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I would tend to put this in the genre of Film music (no shame there). I could almost imagine a band of characters in the story flying through the countryside and running into various events that either soothed or shocked. Very impressive!! And written in Finale as well! Your attention to detail and patience is amazing! Well recorded as well!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

thank-you muchly, both.

I've never actually written anything "descriptive" (until my Sinfonia Canadensis), so it's kind of fun to hear people say they find this piece descriptive. It's really pure form in my mind, no images, no feelings, nothing.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast