• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Moonlight Revisited

Share/Bookmark

Moonlight Revisited

Well, thanks to those who responded to my first posting on this subject. I think the mistakes are now history.

I have now uploaded the latest version.

Op 27 Nr 2, Presto

I have signed up with Box.net, and this is my test. Please let me know if it works. Thanks to rbowser for the suggestion.

My reasons for this project:

1. Practice with GPO.
    2. It is probably the most thrilling music I know of.
    3. Show off how good GPO can be.
    4. Let out the big secret that avant garde or atonal music is not the only music in my life!

It is not intended as a display of my virtuosity. Sometimes I unintentionally create the impression that I am presenting a live performance. I consider this quite a compliment, but not to my performance skills. The music is input using a velocity sensitive controller keyboard, using Sonar and GPO Vsti. Plenty of editing with Sonar (using the staff view, almost never the piano roll view)

I work very hard to make the results sound as realistic as possible, and think have have achieved some good results. Fluidity of tempo/rubato remain as a challenge.

There were some good ears that caught those errors at such a rapid movement. I corrected according to an urtext edition. I could not find the copy that I originally used. It is probably hiding outside somewhere in the woods with all the other sheet music that has gone astray.

Richard

Re: Moonlight Revisited

Hi Ray,

Fantasic rendition of a fantastic piece of music. I really wish I could play this piece - it is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this,
    Kenny

well, there are still wrong notes... right in the very first measure, there's a major third.

I have to say that for the interpretation, I prefer a slightly "rougher", more aggressive approach to the opening of that movement. I don't know if it's your recording that is too soft, or the velocity of your keyboard, or simply the way you envisionned the piece. Of course, that's probably a very personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    well, there are still wrong notes... right in the very first measure, there's a major third.

I have to say that for the interpretation, I prefer a slightly "rougher", more aggressive approach to the opening of that movement. I don't know if it's your recording that is too soft, or the velocity of your keyboard, or simply the way you envisionned the piece. Of course, that's probably a very personal thing.
    Well, yes, the major third was there, now corrected, but the correction not uploaded yet. I knew it was there, don't know how I managed to overlook it. Well, there may still be errors, but I have checked the whole thing a few times, and will listen a few more times with Henle score in front of me. There were not as many wrong notes as Rubinstein played in the Minute Waltz (I hate the nickname), but he did it purposely, to be able to play it faster, which I also dislike.

A more agressive approach would be quite acceptable, and I would enjoy it that way also. This is just according to my thoughts. Either way, I find the piece very exhilarating.

Richard

Oh, now, Richard -- I always figured you for a man of very
    broad musical tastes... the implications are there in what you
    write, my friend.

As I said earlier:

An invigorating, exciting performance over which I believe
    Herr Beethoven would be smiling!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Really enjoyed listening to this - My head could not stop bouncing in time to the music! Now, if only I could play the piano this well. Bravo!!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Question Re: Moonlight Revisited

The performance is really good.

But, Richard, are the some wrong notes intended?

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    The performance is really good.

But, Richard, are the some wrong notes intended?

Sincerely,
    I am not Rubinstein, therefore I could not get away with intentional wrong notes! Later today, I will upload what I hope is the final version. Right now, shopping demands my attention. shopping is probably the greatest trial of my life!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I am not Rubinstein, therefore I could not get away with intentional wrong notes! Later today, I will upload what I hope is the final version. Right now, shopping demands my attention. shopping is probably the greatest trial of my life!

Richard
    I understand. Even Rubinstein played some wrong notes.
    Just for your information, I think Beethoven intended differently in:

Bar 1, 6, 7, 8, 29, 44, 46, 53, 58, 60, 85, 87, 95, 96, 110, 111, 115, 140, 142
    (repetition neglected).

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    I understand. Even Rubinstein played some wrong notes.
    Just for your information, I think Beethoven intended differently in:

Bar 1, 6, 7, 8, 29, 44, 46, 53, 58, 60, 85, 87, 95, 96, 110, 111, 115, 140, 142
    (repetition neglected).

Sincerely,
    Well, thanks. Most had been corrected (but not uploaded) . The lastest version is now available, same link as above, but for convenience, restated here.

Opus 27 nr 2, Presto

Now to roust the water company -- the joy of country living includes the frequent loss of utilities!

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast