• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Keyswitch issue?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Keyswitch issue?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum as a member, but I've been reading posts for a looooong time before posting my question. Fact is I could'nt find the answer I need so far. Sorry if it is redundant with previous posts.

Here is my problem:
    I'm using the GPO Full Strings KS patch, to lay down a string part before I split it to different instruments (1st violins, 2nd violins and so on). The sus+short, tremolo, pizzicato and trills articulation work fine. However:
    1. The alternating up and downbows (D), the upbows (D#) and the downbows (E#) all give SHORT notes. I thought I'd get sustained notes here (that is, a note that I could hear from note on to note off). What am I missing?
    2. The sustain pedal seems to have no effect whatsoever. Is it so subtle I'm missing it?

Thanks for helping. I'm getting a little desperate.

I'm working on a Mac Dual G5, OS 10.4.9, in Logic 7.2. My Gpo version is the oct 2004 Update, running in Kontakt Player 2. I Also have Kontakt 1.5.3 runing in the same project with a Piano patche, but I doubt it has anything to do with my problem. Input keyboard is a Novation remote SL 25.

Re: GPO Keyswitch issue?

Quote Originally Posted by taxiway01
    1. The alternating up and downbows (D), the upbows (D#) and the downbows (E#) all give SHORT notes. I thought I'd get sustained notes here (that is, a note that I could hear from note on to note off). What am I missing?
    These KS's are for staccato/spiccato and very short detaché runs. Thus no need for the Sustain pedal.

In general, when a KS is needed look down the table if such an effect is present as a freestanding instrument / sample entry. If so, have a look at the "effects" right next to the name-entry of the table.

In other words, those keyswitched instruments act exactly the same as their counterparts in the instruments table.

It took a while before I understood this... so you are not alone in this.

Raymond

Well, thanks... But that just does not match with what's in the manual, which describes D in the KS layouts as being "Alternating up and downbows". Nevermind... I guess the rule is "do with whatever comes up".

Go Back to forum