• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would this work, for a "Live" performance setting?

Share/Bookmark

Question Would this work, for a "Live" performance setting?

Hello everyone, I hope that ya'll can answer this sample/ sampler question for me. I really appreciate it.

I've recently been asked to join a local band, and will be performing in numerous live situations. Quite a change for me, since I have been doing all of my music in a computer based GigaStudio setting for the last few years. So, I will be pulling out all my old synth modules, and dusting them off this week.

Okay, here is what I need to know, please. I'd really like to be able to use some of my samples (mostly Akai samples) in the band. But, of course, I don't wanna have to haul my complete GigaStudio computer setup around with me each time we perform. Would an AKAI sampler work for use in a live setting?

I have a chance to buy a second-hand AKAI sample, at a fairly good price. So, would I be able to load my AKAI CD ROM samples into it, and play them back "live" with the band, from a MIDI controller keyboard? Or, would I have to have a computer (with GigaStudio installed) in my stage setup, to make the live sample-streaming work properly?

I'm sorry for being totally ignorant on this topic. I'm just so use to "computer based GigaStudio" MIDI recording in my home studio... this "playing live" is a totally different way of thinking for me. Been quite a number of years since my keyboard player "band days" ... LOL

Thanks so much for your help......... Gary

Re: Would this work, for a "Live" performance setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    Okay, here is what I need to know, please. I'd really like to be able to use some of my samples (mostly Akai samples) in the band. But, of course, I don't wanna have to haul my complete GigaStudio computer setup around with me each time we perform. Would an AKAI sampler work for use in a live setting?

I have a chance to buy a second-hand AKAI sample, at a fairly good price. So, would I be able to load my AKAI CD ROM samples into it, and play them back "live" with the band, from a MIDI controller keyboard? Or, would I have to have a computer (with GigaStudio installed) in my stage setup, to make the live sample-streaming work properly?
    The Akai sampler should work fine for gigs. Ideally you it should have a HD installed for the samples so there's no need to mess around with CD-ROMs (since it's for giging).

I bought my Akai S2000 for the purpose of playing in a band a long time ago. It was both cheaper and more versatile than a sound module at the time.

May I ask what Akai model the sampler is?

Thank you for the reply, Dahnielson. I really appreciate it very much.

The one I was thinking about is an AKAI S5000.... although, I was also keeping an eye on an AKAI S2000 on Ebay.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M. Thomas
    The one I was thinking about is an AKAI S5000.... although, I was also keeping an eye on an AKAI S2000 on Ebay.
    I would definitely go for the S5000. If it comes attached to a nice price it's 256 MB max RAM and 64 voice polyphony is a bargain. It's one of the last hardware samplers produced before getting outmoded by software samplers and 200 GB libraries.

Personally I would only go for a S2000 if it was fully pimped out (32 MB RAM, effect card, eight outputs and internal hard drive or zip-drive mounted) at a really low price. Recently saw one sold for $220 that came with lots of samples that I consider a fair deal.

The most important thing to keep in mind when buying hardware samplers is to get them as package deals with working CD-ROM, hard drives, ZIP-drives and whatnot. Because getting such gear to work together can be a pain (a.k.a. "SCSI Hell"), so getting gear that is proven to work together is a must.

Why not to use notebook with external HDs. Then you can have whole performance loaded in one project. Its more compact solution.

Go Back to forum