• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What's Your DAW and Why?

What's Your DAW and Why?

I'm currently a user of Power Tracks Pro Audio and like it for a number of reasons, not least of which is the price. However, it crashes fairly easily and I would very much like an improved automation method, such as it found in Pro Tools. In fact, I was pretty much sure I was going to go to Pro Tools until I found out very recently that it doesn't support VST synths or effects. That pretty much shot it out of the water.

So, what do you do you work in? I've tried to compile a feature comparison of various popular DAWS, such as Cubase and Sonar, but the lists start to look fairly similar. What's needed is subjective workflow opinions.

So, what do you use? What do you like most about it? What would you change if you could?

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: What's Your DAW and Why?

I'm using Sonar 4.0.2 but can't recommend to you to buy Sonar 6 because the performance of 6 is so poor compared to 4.

If I had to start over and lost Sonar I'd try "Reaper" first ...
    ...because it's free and then if I found it unsatisfactory I'd be looking at Cubase ( try a demo ) or something else ... anything other than Sonar 5 or 6.

If I could find Sonar 4 somewhere in a store ... a boxed version that never sold ... I'd snap it up in a heart beat and never go past the 4.0.2 patch.
    4.0.3 is where the performance downgrade began ... with the new audio engine.

I am using Logic Pro 7.2.3 on a Mac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz with 4.5GB ram.

I looked at alot of sequencers and decided on Logic because of the excellent plugins and the fact that I have all the things I need to make a track and master it with ease.

I also like it's user interface. A Macs power is also far greater than PCs now it can ship with 8 3GHz cores............

I hope that sort of helps...

Any other info needed take a look at

And now also at Flickr!

View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

I'm a big fan of Ableton Live. I am currently using version 5.2. I like it because of how easily and creatively one can manipulate audio. Of course you can also do standard sequencing with support for VST and Audio Unit plug-ins. For someone who uses alot of loops in their project, Live is perfect. However, if you are going to need a ton of sequencing features, it probably isn't your best choice. Logic would be a good tool if you were a big time programmer. The single greatest complaint I have about Live is that you can not change Time Signatures in a piece.

Started with Saw32 and CEP 1.0 at the radio station I worked at
    Went to Vegas and Nuendo 1 because Vegas came bundled with my Delta 1010. I had used Nuendo on a SG Machine (in case you're curious - http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...rg/Nuendo.html ) at some other company I did work for. About this time I also bought VST 3.7 for its midi.
    Now I primarily use Cubase SX because it works, it integrates with my Yamaha hardware and I am used to the workflow.
    Dave Cebrowski
    DCWAVE Productions

Most people stick with what they started with to avoid taking more time to learn a new app.

I started on Voyetra's DOP. I liked it a lot of it would not work on XP.

I've been using Sonar up to ver. 5.

I like to tinker around with other apps. I have Traktion 2, Acid Pro, FL Studio, CM Muzys and I probably left off others. I'd like to own Reason probably only on the eye candy.

I find a lot of them now have 3rd party add ons to get your attention.

I still prefer software that allows you to look at notation. After reading Steve's comment I downloaded Reaper.

Thumbs up Re: What's Your DAW and Why?

SONAR 6. Absolutely the most awesome DAW I have worked with. The flexibility and stability is incredible.

Running a Core 2 duo 1.8 Ghz, with 4 SDRAM. Only use this PC for SONAR and a host of plugins. Also use WaveLab for mastering on the same computer. Both are GREAT!!!

Never had a crash, never had a hiccup. Running as many as 48 tracks at once. Of course it will handle as many as your computer will handle.

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy

I still prefer software that allows you to look at notation. After reading Steve's comment I downloaded Reaper.
    Please let us know what your impressions are. I haven't yet had the time to try it.

A Daw is in the long run also a taste thing.

I work already eternally with Steinberg Cubase, and Cubase 4 has everything which I need. And now, where Steinberg was bought by Yamaha, now in Cubase 4 you can see and hear the influence of Yamaha... .

And you can suspect, what there will be in the future, particularly hardware-controller/mixer... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I have used Cakewalk products since 1999 after trying Cubase and have stuck to Sonar since it was first introduced. I now use Sonar 6.2 PE and love the ease of use, stability, work-flow and the new sound engine since Sonar 4.0 puts it on another plane.

Also with Vista coming out, I believe that Sonar 6 is the only true 64 bit DAW on the market currently.

Go Back to forum