• Register
  • Help

Topic: arrogant, triumphant... -hip hop with GPO

Share/Bookmark

arrogant, triumphant... -hip hop with GPO

Hi everybody, if anyone likes my music, here's another track.
    It's strict, It's linear, it's "hip-hop" with gpo instruments !

Are you arrogant, shameless, triumphant and sucessfull ?

http://www.box.net/shared/kua435xuck
    http://files.filefront.com/Arrogant_.../fileinfo.html
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/c316e332-9...t-Erfolgreich3
    http://www.musicwebtown.com/buddhama...700/423019.mp3

(download it but dont 'save it', instead directly 'open with' QT-player. then you can automatically listen to it after finish D/L. That avoids any stops...)

"oh glorious bass-drum KS"

Re: arrogant, triumphant... -hip hop with GPO

I think it would be better if it went to a melody for a bit around two thirds into the piece, and maybe some rap lyrics. i used to not like rap at all (that's what we used to call it before ever hearing the name hiphop), but then i heard one using symphonic strings, the theme for the show dangerous minds, sounded great, and then heard one on the radio (they didn't tell the name of it) that also used strings but with much more expanded development, and it sounded even better... and i thought that would catch on and become more prevalent. I like the horns in this, good sound. This sounds like it needs a little more work, but off to a good a start. I don't think I'm qualified to make suggestions on improving the mix, mine also makes that static popping noise, I enjoyed listening though.

David

Wink Re: arrogant, triumphant... -hip hop with GPO

Sorry BuddhaMaster,

that music is not my theme, but thank you for posting this.

Hm, perhaps It could be a short theme out of a filmmusic...?!

I enjoyed listening though, too.

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I think it would be better if it went to a melody for a bit around two thirds into the piece, and maybe some rap lyrics. i used to not like rap at all (that's what we used to call it before ever hearing the name hiphop), but then i heard one using symphonic strings, the theme for the show dangerous minds, sounded great, and then heard one on the radio (they didn't tell the name of it) that also used strings but with much more expanded development, and it sounded even better... and i thought that would catch on and become more prevalent. I like the horns in this, good sound. This sounds like it needs a little more work, but off to a good a start. I don't think I'm qualified to make suggestions on improving the mix, mine also makes that static popping noise, I enjoyed listening though.

David
    I remember the song 'Gangster's Paradise' from the movie dangerous minds, is it that what you are talking about ? i dont exactly remember the song and didn't heard it for a while, but it was beautyfull.
    Almost everything in my track is build together of a few, various 2-8 bar pieces - Very repetive, the most making some variation is the flutes. But they are very quiet and if i would give it more expression, i would extend it based on them.
    ...There is some additional noise all over the track. Clicks and pops to give it the oldy "vinyl"-touch, presumeable the best thing on it

Btw: I dont very like it, neither. But i had fun to make it
    Btw2: Hey, what did you mean "mine is also making that noise" ? Something you made ? Can i please listen to it ?

Quick-Lesson:
    'Rap' is the speaking, 'hip hop' is the music, and therefore Iit can almost be everything ! I mostly like hip-hop based on classical music, but 'hip hop' can also be funk, blues, jazz ...Basically everything ! Very creative music, makes me like it.
    The only true hip hop is the old - 1980-2000, based on true instruments. My favourite band is 'Cypress Hill'. Some creative, white guys that made tracks with standup-bass. AS example - Instead of synthesizers.
    And they are getting the groove out of it !
    look for 'What Go Around Come Around Kid'...

My apologies, BuddhaMaster, i didn't realize it was intended, but now i see and it does have that old vinyl touch. My noise is, i think, from not having enough ram, because if i have only a few instruments in Finale it doesn't do that, but with about four or more it has static pops and dropouts.

I don't have anything to post yet, but working on two things and hope to be able to post them soon. One is original and the other is a piano and symphony arrangement of 'Everything Must Change' based on Nina Simone's version of it on the Baltimore album.

Yes, that's the one i was speaking of, doesn't sound as good on this midi, and the original sounds great with the vocals.

Gangsta's Paradise (Theme to Dangerous Minds) by Coolio
    http://www.largesock.com/midi/dangerou.mid

"But i had fun to make it"

Then it has already made at least two people smile!

David

Hip-hop is a bit of a side-step from my usual; but your
    comment caught my attention...

But i had fun to make it
    I think we too often lose sight of the sheer joy of creation
    in what we do. Thanks for the reminder!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

... but where was the HipHop?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Buddha--

Yours has been the only post that I haven't replied to, because I just didn't know what to say. Now, taking a listen and look at the thread again, I think Hannes really summed up my own dilemma best when he asked, "...but where is the hip hop?..."

When you first posted this, with the attention getting subject line, I was interested and intrigued. Based on that text, I was expecting and hoping for something brash and edgy. I have always enjoyed things that are unexpected and which seem to be marching to their own drummer.

But, even though there were interesting things about your recording, I was let down and disappointed. The promise of something "arrogant, triumphant"--and most to the point, at least musically speaking, "hip hop"--that didn't pay off.

The concept of having a solid, thumping, grab-them-by-the-throat piece of actual hip hop which incorporates some power house string work with GPO--now that could be great.

And I bet you could do it.

But this my musical friend, was frankly--tepid.

If you want to be authentically Arrogant and Triumphant---Then Do some taut, spare, from-the-street HIP HOP, and go ahead and use strings--in GPO, the Aggressive strings, sparingly, swirling in dangerously and abruptly---INTErestingly. Then you'd have something.

If this is the music you're truly passionate about, then I want to kick your butt and say FINE--go DO it--REALLy do it.

Ok?

Yours in art,
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I am somewhat curious - you say you don't like it, but you had fun. I think it is great that you had fun, but why put forward something you don't like. I too was disappointed, both because the music was, as you said, repetitive, but also because it isn't what it claims to be - I had hoped for something "in my face" - something challenging.

But continue to have fun, and challenge yourself!

Alan

Go Back to forum