• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB Cymbals - How do you get THIS sound?

Share/Bookmark

JABB Cymbals - How do you get THIS sound?

Could any of the drummers and JABB users amongst us tell me how to achieve the cymbal sound heard in the following JABB clip?

Garritan JABB Cymbal Sample

I believe this is using the Hi-Hat with the pedal but I just cannot find how to do this. I have also tried the other cymbal sounds but I can't find this effect.

I don't mean the rhythm .. I mean the actual cymbal sound.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: JABB Cymbals - How do you get THIS sound?

Michael

Try using Stick Fusion drums 14"hats using A#1 open on the beat 1 and 3, 74 velocity and beat 2 and 4, F#1 closed 100 velocity adding the extra closed hat on the 6th and 12th triplets 180 bpm

This will just be a starting point for achieving this sound. Play around with the velocity and timing to get a more human feel.

Ray

Hi, Michael

Ray gave you a very thorough answer there, surprising in its detail. I'm sure he's steering you right there.

I don't have my music computer going so can't check the details at the moment, but I was ready with a simpler explanation before I saw Ray's response.

The sample sounded like a simple matter of an open hat followed by the Foot closed hat--that's the one that gets the "whump" in the sound since the pedal is closing the two small hat cymbals together. I'm not quite sure why BPM were involved in Ray's answer, since the sound isn't tempo related. But as with all MIDI drum kits, the closed versions of hats (pedal closed in this case) cut off the sound of the open versions, following the logic that in the real acoustic drum kits, an open hat's sound when struck will be cut off by the hats being closed. Easy.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,
    My way of explaining and therefore metioning tempo was simply because I set my DAW up to try and match the example given by Michael. I know it's more info than was asked for but I was using his question as a test for myself.

Cheers

Ray

Ah! I get it, Ray. I think once one plays around a bit with a MIDI drum set, like the JABB kits, this high hat thing becomes pretty easy to sus out.

Perhaps part of the confusion, Michael, is that you were asking about A cymbal--as if this sample you played was the sound of one cymbal, when it's actually two. In any case, the open hat automatically cut off by a closed sound is what you're after--and it's the pedal hat that gives that nice Whump sound, as was pointed out earlier.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

yes Randy,
    the open hat sample is cut off by the pedal or closed hat sample

Ray

--um, right, Ray--Did I sound uncertain about that? I've used MIDI drums since the mid 1980's--hats have been programmed like that since the birth of MIDI.

How's your music going, Michael?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    --um, right, Ray--Did I sound uncertain about that? I've used MIDI drums since the mid 1980's--hats have been programmed like that since the birth of MIDI.

How's your music going, Michael?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

At school, when others were reading english, I was out the back of the bicycle shed smoking

Ray

Well, Ray and Randy, thank you so much for replying. Thanks to your advice I'm getting the hang of it now.

I've now tried adding this to a basic kit with a basic patttern. I just need to play around with the velocity a bit to get the balance right. I'm trying this in Finale and it's working really well.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Cool, Michael--And Hey, Ray's in Scotland, closer to you than me if you want someone to work with you on this stuff right there in your studio.

"...I was out the back of the bicycle shed smoking..."

Ah! Well I did that behind the YMCA. You know, swim a few laps, then hide behind the building to sneak a cig. Ah, youth.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum