• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Bien Dia" (JABB acoustic guitar)

Share/Bookmark

"Bien Dia" (JABB acoustic guitar)

This is my just-finished "Buen Dia" as played on the Jazz and Big Band ten-string acoustic guitar(s).

Larry

Edit: The title should be "Buen Dia". My bad.

Re: "Bien Dia" (JABB acoustic guitar)

Larry - Thanks for sharing that with us. Well done! - A 10 string accoustic guitar??? Extended range i guess!

My only suggestion is to try to make the guitar sound less like a piano and more like a guitar. Since the two instruments and their techniques are worlds apart that is quite difficult to do. Lucklily, I play guitar so I don't have to use samples (maybe a lead solo which I find less of a challenge - ) only if the samples are really good)

Thanks - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

A nice guitar piece.

I'm planning on buying a hardware 6 string acoustic guitar myself.

Phil

Nice guitar work, Larry.

I'd be interested to see the score or any tablature for
    this to see how it is fingered.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Larry - Thanks for sharing that with us. Well done! - A 10 string accoustic guitar??? Extended range i guess!

My only suggestion is to try to make the guitar sound less like a piano and more like a guitar. Since the two instruments and their techniques are worlds apart that is quite difficult to do. Lucklily, I play guitar so I don't have to use samples (maybe a lead solo which I find less of a challenge - ) only if the samples are really good)

Thanks - Del
    Even though I "grew up" with guitars, I am certainly no expert on the instrument. It would be difficult to NOT make the ten-string sound similar to a piano because of its construction.

The ten-string guitar, or LAUDARRA (a combination of the Spanish words for lute and guitar), has four more bass strings than the standard guitar. The seventh string is tuned to "C" below middle "C", and the remaining three are tuned downward in whole tones. The advantages to this arrangement are primarily extra basses to execute chord inversions not possible on six strings. There is also the advantage of being able to play in key signatures that ordinarily would not sound full on the traditional guitar. On any stringed instrument, sympathetic vibrations from the unused strings enhance the resonance of the played note. On the conventional guitar, because of its tuning, some of the notes in the chromatic scale do not receive as much sympathetic help as the others. With the Laudarra's added four strings, all the notes in the chromatic scale receive an equal amount of assistance.

Thanks for listening.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    A nice guitar piece.

I'm planning on buying a hardware 6 string acoustic guitar myself.

Phil
    There are actually two guitars playing the work.

Glad you like it. Thanks, Mr. Phil.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I loved this, Larry. Sounds to me like a very creditable guitar emulation without the overly-keyboardish effect when less care is taken to simulate guitar playing.

And thanks for the notes about the diferences between a traditional 6 string and this Spanish 10 string guitar--Interesting!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I thank you for listenin', Mr. Randy.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum