• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Pluto Live Performance

Pluto Live Performance

This is a performance of the work: Pluto, Requiem for a Dead Planet that I wrote to be included with a performance of Gustav Holst's: The Planets. It was performed by the Lakeland Civic Orchestra on May 6th, 2007. It was originally posted here as a Finale/GPO file. For those of you that care about such things, I have posted a recording of the perfomance of this piece for you to hear. There are a few bumps in the road (digitally) it was a large file to upload, so the buffering gets jumbled sometimes. The piece became larger as we approached performance time. It now is about the same size orchestra as the one Holst originally scored for and includes the following instrumentation:Piccolo, 3 Flutes, Alto Flute, Bass Flute, 2 Oboes, English Horn, 3 Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, 3 Bassoons, Contra Bassoon, 6 French Horns, 4 Trumpets (only 3 parts played because I conducted), 3 Trombones, Bass Trombone, Tenor Tuba (Euphonium), Tuba, Timpani, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Bells, Celeste, Harp, Treble Choir, Violin 1 & 2, Viola, Cello and Double Bass. This by far is the largest score I have ever attempted. I hope you enjoy the Lakeland Civic Orchestra and Civic Choir in a performance of:

Pluto, Requiem for a Dead Planet

Please, no comments on mix, or reverb, this is Au Naturale. (With real inexpensive recording equipment - I borrowed etlux's wife's camera!)

For those of you who like to compare this link will take you to the original GPO version:

GPO Version
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Pluto Live Performance

Hi wrayer,

that is super well! Congratulations!

That is probably how beautiful, if a real orchestra plays your notes!

Thank you for posting this!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Excellent Ron! You must be well pleased with this. I have been following the development of this piece since your first draft using GPO - and the final result is a tremendous achievement, especially with the addition of the choir that fits well with the concept of a requiem. I think Holst would approve of this. Congratulations and thanks for letting us hear this.

Regards, Graham

Your Requiem is fitting, and an excellent work to blend with a concert alongside of Holtz.

Well done. Themes flow cleanly.

It's good to know that poor Pluto has at least one champion here on earth able to speak a language fitting for that now orphaned celestial body.

Thank you for sharing the public rendition of this work!

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer

Please, no comments on mix, or reverb, this is Au Naturale. (With real inexpensive recording equipment - I borrowed etlux's wife's camera!)
    Rofl... boy, that camera's really getting around, last few days.
    Bill, I'm so sorry -- I feel responsible, now.

Hey, first things first:

Even reading through the somewhat weak recording job my
    WalMart $14 digital camera did on your piece, my friend, I can
    tell they did a darned fine job on this for you! Gosh, hearing
    it for the first time with choir and all -- sounds fantastic!

Bravo, Bill -- and many more to come, I am sure. I cannot
    begin to tell you how pleased I am when I see hard labor
    and good work rewarded with performance.

Always my best,

Gunther: Thanks for listening, it was a real thrill to hear it live. I have a video, but it's much too large to put online. It's much more exciting when you see them playing the piece.

Graham: I was encoursge to add the additional voices and instruments because they are utilized in the the original suite. What a joy it was to have to score for an alto and bass flute, as well as the contra bassoon. I was in heaven!

Joe: Poor pluto wasn't even a year old only about 3 months when he was killed off as a planet. (Pluto's year is about 200 of our years so the 75-80 years he was called a planet didn't even get him once around the sun!)

David: Your wife's camera worked fine, even took great video. I wish you could see it. On the more serious side, thanks for all your comments and encouragements. It's nice to know that you are so suportive and encouraging. I respect your opinions because I respect your music. Thanks again!

Challenge #10 Winner

I listened to both versions just now. First the GPO version then the live recording. The GPO version is well rendered; excellent job on the rendering. The live version, however, is just so exciting!! There's nothing that can ever take the place of real musicians! That "life energy" shines through! Despite the digital "blurps" of the live recording, it sounded grand!

Congratulations! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen! I appreciate you sharing what must have been a wonderful evening for you!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

efiebke: Thanks for listening. Yes it was a wonderful evening. Lot's of work went into the piece as well as the performance. The performers put there "all" into the performance. Sorry for the 'burps' in the rendering. It's the online issue of 'buffering' can't avoid that. The original recording is clean, however. So I have a nice keepsake.

Now to find a publisher. Copyright, did someone say copyright. Hmmm, maybe I could ask Gustav for permission. Oh, he's with Pluto! I'm not sure if the piece is publishable because of the 'quotes'.

Challenge #10 Winner

I guess Pluto is truly dead, thanks all for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

Great post, Bill! Thanks for posting the two links--it was great fun to listen to the GPO version again and the new live recording.

Hey, that sounds just Fine--I'm surprised how well the camera captured the orchestra.

Exciting--! Thanks for letting us share in the experience.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast