• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: External RAM Type Thinger???

Share/Bookmark

Question External RAM Type Thinger???

Hello, my problem is this basically:

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM. i thought this would be enough to handle GPO, Stradivari and Gofriller, but i guess it isn't. if you want to read the whole problem here is the thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53489

So, my question is - is there any type of external RAM device or computer type thing that i can load my samples on and have my MacBook play them through USB or something. I just don't know what else to do. i guess i can upgrade my RAM, but MacBook Pros max out at 3 GB or RAM, and right now i have 2, so i don't know if 3 will make that big a difference (but it costs a ton). if anyone knows anything about this please please please please let me know. i will write and dedicate a gofriller song to you if you can get my stuff working properly. thanks a bunch.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: External RAM Type Thinger???

Keith,

RAM is not the issue. Each library is less than a Gigabye meaning you can load both in RAM with your 3GB and have plenty of room to spare. As you see, many people have been posting demos made iwth both and have no problems. It could be a number of issues and we don't have enough information.

You don't have to entice people with a song. You need only call us.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    Hello, my problem is this basically:

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM. i thought this would be enough to handle GPO, Stradivari and Gofriller, but i guess it isn't. if you want to read the whole problem here is the thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53489

So, my question is - is there any type of external RAM device or computer type thing that i can load my samples on and have my MacBook play them through USB or something. I just don't know what else to do. i guess i can upgrade my RAM, but MacBook Pros max out at 3 GB or RAM, and right now i have 2, so i don't know if 3 will make that big a difference (but it costs a ton). if anyone knows anything about this please please please please let me know. i will write and dedicate a gofriller song to you if you can get my stuff working properly. thanks a bunch.

Go to www.crucial.com and check for memory. They are very high quality and much cheaper than what Apple charges.

Also, notebooks often have slow hard disks. You may want to try an external firewire drive to store your samples on. Firewire will give much better performance over USB.

I second Craig's suggestion. Get a full-sized 3.5-inch external hard drive that spins at 7,200 rpm or higher. You can get a hard drive that interfaces with FireWire or better yet the new eSATA format (which requires an interface card you plug into the side of the MacBook Pro). These are surprisingly affordable!

Check out OtherWorld Computing for eSATA systems

and FireWire systems.

Also, the MacBook Pro reduces the CPU speed automatically when the unit begins to overheat. This will result in a reduction in the efficiency of your DAW and the number of tracks you can run at the same time. Some people have invested in external laptop cooling devices (essentially an extra fan that blows air over the underside of the MacBook Pro) and have reported that their CPU can run at maximum speed for longer with this arrangement.

This is the advantage of the Mac Pro tower computer. It's huge and it's full of heat sinks, fans and cooling devices that keep those super-powerful CPUs running at full speed all the time. Of course, the trade-off with the MacBook Pro is the portability and convenience.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

While it would be nice, external RAM is not possible. The external peripheral buses are much slower than the link between the CPU and RAM.

is firewire better than usb for external hard drives. and i don't understand the speed of a hard drive. mine is 5400, but the external ones seem to be 7200. what does that mean? and what does it mean in terms of performance? thanks for the comments so far everyone.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

The 5400 or 7200 are the RPM (Rotations Per Minute). The faster they spin, the faster they can read data off the disk.

Another important parameter is Seek Time. It is in ms (milliseconds). The lower the better. It tells you how fast the read heads can reach the desired track on the disk.

Firewire has lower latency and CPU overhead than USB. Overall throughput is better with Firewire than USB.

For your application Firewire is better than USB 2.0. Also the external 7200 HD is much faster than an internal 5400 laptop HD because the laptop 5400 HD is a low power type. I would boot from the external HD not just run the applications from it.

I use to do this with an iBook G4. You can boot from an external Firewire HD.

You can switch booting HDs in the System Prefs with the startup disk pane.

Phil

this is all starting to make some sense to me. and whats great is that its really inexpensive. thats what i like

also - would upgrading my macbook pro from 2 GB RAM to 3 be worth 200 bucks?

thanks for all your responses so far.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    For your application Firewire is better than USB 2.0. Also the external 7200 HD is much faster than an internal 5400 laptop HD because the laptop 5400 HD is a low power type. I would boot from the external HD not just run the applications from it.

I use to do this with an iBook G4. You can boot from an external Firewire HD.

You can switch booting HDs in the System Prefs with the startup disk pane.

Phil
    Make sure you purchase an external drive with FIREWIRE 2 (800 Mbps.) Most of the newer ones support this.

Keith Walls

Go Back to forum