• Register
  • Help

Topic: At Last, the First (Rosentulpenelken 1st Mvt

Share/Bookmark

At Last, the First (Rosentulpenelken 1st Mvt

This arrived in my mind as a complete movement, with nearly all details in place. There was (and is) a problem creating a score which is neat, legible, and accurate. I have a complete score, but it needs at leas 10 more hours of work. Meanwhile, here it is, mp3, using GPO Steinway. Length, 5:43.

Rosentulpenelken, 1st Mvt

It is the first movement, but the last to be completed.

Richard

Re: At Last, the First (Rosentulpenelken 1st Mvt

Hi, Richard

--first an aside--Congrats on getting this up at Box. Nice tidy screen and instant playback when I clicked on "play"--Much appreciated.

Now, even bigger Congrats on completing the first movement of Rosentulpenelken. A fascinating firing of synapses. There's a thought emerging throughout the piece, and by the end, I felt the thinker whose thoughts we were hearing, reached a satisfied moment of Eureka.

I felt a bit breathless and alert as I listened, and enjoyed the experience. --I'm realizing, I feel more ready to plunge into my day now. Thank you--!

I picture your urgent music coming out of your peaceful Redwoods environment--and love what an amazing contrast that is!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Richard -

I believe that this is the second that I've heard by you. You used to use a Syllibus web site, I believe. Unfortunately, I wasn't always able to hear your works simply because the computers I use (at work) don't have the needed plug-in to allow the music to be heard. Congrats on putting your music on a new site. I'm sure the older one works fine. However, I am now able to hear your works!

I listened to this twice. I admit to having a rather "young" ear for this style of music. I think, I believe, that I heard some accuring themes introduced and developed. (Please forgive me for showing my lack of knowledge for such a style of music.) It would be interesting to see the score as well. (I believe that the Syllibus web site is good for being able to display music as well as allow the listener to hear it. So, I could see why one would use this web site service.)

Curious. Is the music improvised? Do you compose the music, record it, then score it? Does the scoring come first? I guess I am asking you, the composer, to share your secrets.

Once, a very long time ago, I attempted to write a similar style of composition. It was for a "contemporary jazz composition" class. It had to last at least 10 minutes in length and was written for a small 6 or 7 piece jazz ensamble. It was a lot of work. A LOT of work!! It was no way near as well developed as your piece. Also, my playing ability was no where near as practiced and rehearsed as your technical playing. But the challange, in writing this piece for that contemporary jazz composition class was well appreciated.

I appreciate the musical challange that you share. I also appreciate the skill and playing ability involved in creating such a piece. Thank you for sharing! I am glad to hear another piece by you!

Respectfully. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Well, Ted, I guess the Box site was a good move. It was suggested by rbowser. But perhaps I will also eventually link both ways for benefit of those who like to read while listening.

As for as method of composing, sometimes the idea comes from improvising at my Baldwin grand piano. But in all cases, nothing happens until I write some sketch the old fashioned way, with pencil, paper, and really good erasers. Sometime I write out the whole thing. Then create a Sonar file by various means, and edit, delete, add, manipulate, distort, etc. until I am happy. Generally, my final test is did I get restless waiting for it to finish, or was the time not noticed. Eventually, I import the music to Sibelius, where the drudgery begins. I import a Sonar file, from the staff view, which is not very good, and which does not import well sometimes. If the score is complicated, as this one surely is, the score editing can take days! Sometimes the idea for a piece explodes in my mind, and I have to get it down quickly, and can hardly keep up with my thoughts. Other times, the idea is clear, and the details are fuzzy. In this case, idea and details were both crisp and clear. But there remains plenty of work in creating a usable score! My next piece, which will be uploaded tonight, is as tranquil as this is exciting.

This has been a fruitful week for me. I have written about 7 new works, and now am struggling through the process of editing all of them. I lost a few hours today because I had to get to my doctor for an exam of a possible new basal cell carcinoma. Results of the biopsy will be available in a week or so. I think the worst case is that my nose will become a little smaller again. About 10 years ago, I had multiple aggressive basal cell carcinoma, requiring rhinoplasty and septoplasty, and the visible effect was that of having had a nose bob.

Richard

Richard -

Thank you for taking the time to share your process in composing and scoring your compositions. It is nice and very interesting to know the thoughts, methodology and inspirational process behind creating music and other art forms. To me, it's "getting to know the artist" in a more deeper way. I am humbled and honored that you took the time to answer my rather "nosey" questions. Again, thank you.

It seems like you've been doing the "composing thing" for quite a while. I am awe-struck that you "produce" such a number of compositions! I appreciate the dedication and passion that you bring to your craft. I also appreciate and respect the skill and experience behind your compositional process. It is not often that I listen to this style of music composition. I must admit that there also exists, for me, a process of learning to listen to such a style. As stated before, I appreciate the listening "challange". Call it a growth in listening. Also call it a growth in appreciation and understanding. This was helped by your thoughtful response.

Regarding your recent find of possible basal cell carcinoma. Geeze, Richard! I hope the tests prove negative. If not, I hope they catch it all! Warm thoughts and prayers to you, Richard!!

Gratefully. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

What a ride...! Randy hit it: It's akin to watching a living
    neural scan, synapses firing, the divergence and collision
    of the elements of thought rolled out before you in sounds...

Rosentulpenelken may be one of your signature works,
    Richard. The rendering on this one is quite good, by
    the way -- but I'd love to hear the fireworks of this
    movement brought to life under the hands of a first-rate
    player.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum