• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Give us Ruby now!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Give us Ruby now!

I just read the following in an other topic, and I must agree. I bought Emerald partly for the upgrade thing. Now, with only one part of the "Virtuoso series pro" library, the concert strings, costing $499, I must say I´m disappointed, to say the least. My investment in Emerald isn´t anywhere close the new price range for the Virtuose series.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFoster
    Well, once again I learn not to have pre-determined expectations in life...

For example : when I purchased the Emerald Library for $325.00, and got what I got, and then saw that Ruby was to be soon available, it was an exciting thought to think that perhaps Ruby pricing would be along the same lines ( albeit more than Emerald, of course ). As I saw that Ruby would be filling the "gaps" of Emerald, it was encouraging to invest in Emerald, and then "complete" the library as a whole with Ruby. My thoughts were, that perhaps Ruby might be $500 total, and the whole library would be in place.

Wrong. As great and as improved as the modularity of the new Virtuoso Pro ( from being previously Ruby ) may indeed be, the idea of what I thought my pricing as an Emerald owner would be ( for Ruby ), and what it will in reality, be as a total were I to purchase the whole Virtuoso Series, is vastly different, to say the least...

I'm not disputing that the quality doesn't warrant the pricing of Virtuoso ; it's just a bit of a feeling of "bait and switch" that I've got here. I was excited about Ruby and the continued value I would be getting ( like I was used to getting with Emerald. )

Long story short : Can I still get Ruby ? Please please ?!?

I want what Ruby was shown to be, to complete Emerald. When I get $3000-5000 of disposable dollars, then of course, I'll spring for the whole Virtuoso Series Pro, as I know it'll be The Best.

But for now, I still want Ruby. Or at least what I was under the impression it was for so long by the looks of the website all of these months...

Question : if Virtuoso Series is the end all - be all, then why did I get Emerald again ? Because - I thought that I would be able to complete it with Ruby, and for along the same pricing point. What a disapointment. There really should be a Ruby to complete Emerald, AND the top tier / Rolls-Royce priced Virtuoso Series for Hans Zimmer and his posse..

Sniff, sniff ( sob ! ) ( ok - I'm done crying now... )

Best,
    John.

Re: Give us Ruby now!

Surprised and disappointed me as well, but as soon as the name was chnaged and it was made modular, I knew that the price point was going to be entirely different than originally anticipated. It certainly explains why no pre-announcements were made on pricing.

Fortunately, Emerald is a great library. I'm sad that Ruby isn't going to be what I thought when I bought it, but that in no way impairs the use of KHE. But instead of VPro, I'm probably going to grab VSL SE and the expander pack for it.

loyd

(Read all of this, because there are significant things that have NOT yet been announced that ARE announced here.)
    As I stated, anyone who purchased Emerald would get that price deducted from the full version of what was then called "ruby". As you know, "ruby" became Virtuoso Series Pro. The size of this full version has grown quite large since the original concept of "Ruby" and has extensive programming beyond that of Emerald. If you were to purchase ALL (Concert Strings, Studio Strings, Solo Strings, Concert Brass, Studio Brass, Solo Brass, additional woodwinds and additional percussion) of VS Pro (formerly Ruby), that cost would be about $1500.00, with an estimated size of over 60GB...possibly 80. We could not justify something this large being much less than this, or we would simply not create it. Therefore, if you were to purchase all of VS Pro, it breaks down like this:

Concert Strings Price - $599.00
    Discount Upgrade Price - $449.00 a savings of $150.00

Studio Strings Price - $399.00
    Discount Upgrade Price - $299.00 a savings of $100.00

Solo Strings Price - $299.00
    Discount Upgrade Price - $249.00 a savings of $50.00

All Brass (Concert, Studio and Solo ) Price - $199.00
    Discount Upgrade Price - $174.00 a savings of $25.00

New Percussion (Harpsichord, Harp, Tymp Rolls) - $50.00
    Discount Upgrade Price - FREE if buying all of the above whether at a discount or the "Non Emerald Owner" price.

So as you can see if you were to purchase these modules as a whole, and you are an Emerald Owner, you would be saving $325.00, AND get the percussion for free.

I've really tried to work this out so that I can release things "modularly" because THAT is what everyone wanted. If I were to wait until ALL of the "modules" were finished, the entire package would cost $1496.00, and YOUR price would be $1171.00. If you compare this price to similar competing developers, you'll see that this is still quite a bargain. I've discussed the pricing with quite a few folks out there who think the price as stated above is still too low...but I'm doing the best I can by saving in the area of printed material etc.

BUT WAIT..there's more!
    The original concept of Ruby is NOT dead. It is currently being developed as VSPro Lite (Virtuoso Series Pro - Lite Edition).. This orchestral library will still be larger than Emerald but will not be NEARLY as costly as the full blown version of VSPro. As a matter of fact, I anticipate that this "Lite" version may well be a lot more successful than the full blown version. It's just that in the recording and programming stages, I could not ignore some of the really cool things, tho' not necessarily "essential" that were happening, which in turn, made VSPro grow so big. Therefore, look for this lite version to price around $595.00 for the whole thing, which means Emerald owners would only have to pay $270.00 for it. Additionally, any "Lite" modules that come out of this are subject to an "Emerald Owner" discount. That will be announced soon as well. Trust me when I say that whatever you elect to choose, it's always a really good "bang for buck" compared to other libraries out there.

So don't kill me for wanting to get REALLY good stuff out there even if it is not for the "faint of heart" pricewise.

Additionally, I'm always open to suggestions.

KH

Same here. Although I understand that Kirk has to make a living the new Pro series is beyond my budget. It would probably make more sense for me to buy parts of the VSL strings which come very close pricewise. I think that Emerald was an absolute bargain with not not much competition. This has definitely changed. Good luck Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    Same here. Although I understand that Kirk has to make a living the new Pro series is beyond my budget. It would probably make more sense for me to buy parts of the VSL strings which come very close pricewise. I think that Emerald was an absolute bargain with not not much competition. This has definitely changed. Good luck Kirk
    Read what I wrote above. Value-wise, (especially for strings) you cannot beat what shall be offered soon in the "lite edition" VSPro.

I have to disagree, looking at the current line up I really think this is even better than I thought. Not only is there a pro amazing but still generally affordable modular series, but also an even more affordable version of that series. Its like you can make payments on the whole but still get the part that you paid for. For example, I might have $150 to spare on solo strings lite... then in a few months spare about that on another library, pretty soon I have all the lite series and can upgrade to the pro. (I'm assuming here that to upgrade from lite to pro is just minus the cost of lite.. is that correct?)

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter
    Read what I wrote above. Value-wise, (especially for strings) you cannot beat what shall be offered soon in the "lite edition" VSPro.
    Ok Kirk. This sounds better to me. It seems I´m more a lite than a pro person
    regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    Ok Kirk. This sounds better to me. It seems I´m more a lite than a pro person
    regards
    Raindog
    Most are, and I have always tried to create for this market. It's just that VSPro really turned out BIG and so I wanted to have that as well. Stay tuned.

Wink Re: Give us Ruby now!

I have listened to the demos over and over again, along with Vons demo on myspace. If it sounds good, I will find room in my budget..No matter what..It is well worth the price, and then some.. It has sold me a hundred percent. When all is released Kirk has my order, withouty a shadow of a doubt..I have to say Kirk, keep up the good work.. Joseph...

Hi Kirk,

The pricing makes sense to me 'feels' well balanced.

Can you tell us how much overlap there is between Emerald and the new releases?
    Are all of the new products made of new samples and instruments, or are they including Emerald samples and instruments?

If they are including samples and instruments from Emerald, is it possible to easily determine what is totally new, and only get those new samples and instruments, leaving our existing Emerald directories, multis ( and .gsp files in my case ) in place, with no changes?

Thanks,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast