• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: lovely professionalism being displayed

Share/Bookmark

lovely professionalism being displayed

I just love reading this sort of carefully considered comment, with such a display of professional courtesy.

http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/...tml#post104993

Re: lovely professionalism being displayed

Yikes!

I used to be a co-administrator/moderator for a very large nursing bulletin board. Thankfully, most of the membership to this nursing bulletin board are respectful to each other. But there's always a few who make a moderator's life miserable. This particular nursing bulletin board has a rather strict Terms of Service that has developed throughout the years. Maybe your fellow moderators can discuss updating your bulletin board's Terms of Service that basically states that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated? If a particular member can't abide by the Terms of Service, they are given a warning. If the inappropriate behaviors persists, then "out they go"!! It works! This particular nursing bulletin board has over 200,000+ members with well over 1,000,000 posts on over 250+ individual forums!!! By and large, the membership respects and appreciates the function of the Terms of Service and the bulletin board remains a friendly, supportive and informative place for nurses to visit.

By the way, having a strict "Terms of Service" does NOT mean that lively and open debates can not exist. Lively debates are encouraged and do exist at this nursing site! But they must take place within the confines of the "Terms of Service": no personal attacks to fellow memberships, no language outside a PG-13 rating, encouragement to keep the focus on the topic and NOT one's fellow bulletin board member, etc., etc.

My heart goes out to you. Being a moderator is not easy sometimes. But know that "keeping the peace" helps keep a pleasant and supportive environment for all of the membership.

There are plenty of bulletin boards that allow and encourage caustic discussion with plenty of R-Rated and X-Rated language; there are plenty of bulletin boards that allow personal attacks to flourish between the membership. That's fine. I appreciate the sites like AllNurses and this one that sets a high standard of conduct where true support and information can be exchanged.

Good luck!

Ted

Edited to add: Here's a link to a bulletin board that lends support to web site administrators and moderators. There's a lot of good discussion and ideas found there: The Administrators Zone. Hope you find it helpful. I did.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

thank-you for your support.

I think I will be discussing this particular incident with the other mods on the forum.

In the German forums one can read such unqualified contributions predominantly.

That was for me the first reason, why I am now here.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I feel kinda sorry for the person. It's best to just ignore people who denigrate others.

edit: Oh i didn't realize you were a mod, that's different... ban him!!

I've been on YC once or twice, I never got farther than the chat room... but I did manage to turn one guy onto an obscure album consisting of completely improvised weirdo pieces, all live to tape with no overdubs.

There's an ancient Polish saying that
    I believe applies, here:

Nawet turcja ma opinie.

For those unfamiliar with the elegance
    and beauty of the Polish language,
    there is a translation tool here;
    though I might note in advance that
    Polish is a tad idiomatic.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Michel,

It was nice to see others jump in to defend Gary. I do think that the person's criticisms may have sounded a bit more harshly because of his/her ability with the english language - they might have phrased it more elegantly...Speaking of elegant, your phrase "that's like comparing apples to jumper cables" was priceless!

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

The anonymity of the internet seems to encourage people to say things they
    would never say in person. I looked up some of his other posts and learned that
    he is 23 years old. I would expect that, with time, life will teach him some
    humility. Until then, your reply will hopefully cause him to reconsider how
    he behaves in public (or at least in this forum).

- k

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    The anonymity of the internet seems to encourage people to say things they
    would never say in person. I looked up some of his other posts and learned that
    he is 23 years old. I would expect that, with time, life will teach him some
    humility. Until then, your reply will hopefully cause him to reconsider how
    he behaves in public (or at least in this forum).

- k
    True and true again, Klassical.

My tongue-in-cheek reply above aside, I do not think either
    youth or anonymity should excuse one from the responsibility
    of one's remarks.

For the record, Mr. Garritan not only takes criticism, but very
    actively seeks it -- as frequently evidenced in this forum.

The worth of GPO, of course, is a matter of opinion... even
    when inelegantly expressed. But I do believe that the quality
    of some of the best work heard in our Listening Room speaks
    volumes on that matter, as does this rather interesting list:

http://garritan.com/WhosUsing.html

My own considerable respect for GPO is, of course, well
    known.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum