• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Some What Muted Fanfare

Share/Bookmark

A Some What Muted Fanfare-newly edited w/lower levels

I back-tracked to record this on my old computer-I thoought I had cancelled , but ...
    This is for a small Orchestra. The first of 3 or 4 movements.
    Gary
    Listen to example in 5th post below this one.
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5322952&q=hi

Re: A Some What Muted Fanfare

this was a cool piece - i'm not sure i would label it as a fanfare, but none the less a cool piece. my favorite parts were at the end when there were sparse lines played by the strings and clarinet. you also had some cool moments with the piano and mallets.

rendering-wise, i think you could have done better with the strings. they seemed a bit monotonous in tone at points. with that said i still thought it was good writing and i'm interested to hear where the other movements lead.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks Keith,
    What section of the piece with the strings are you talking about?
    I've pretty much covered the first statement of theme in the strings.
    Let me know. I freely accept comments.
    Gary

Gary,

Before going much further with your efforts here, please lower your recording levels, my monitors don't like distortion. And back off the reverb a little so we hear your work performed in the same room we're in.

My Best

Ray

Hi, Gary

An interestingly complex piece which sounds spontaneous and improvisational--I'm curious, as Keith is, why you're labelling this a "fanfare"--?

I really enjoyed your choice of shifting instrumentation throughout, really nice use of the orchestra in unpredictable ways.

I do need to say that like Ray, I winced at several moments of distortion. That can be difficult to avoid, when we want to have our recordings at a good healthy level, without peaking out into the red. It calls for a careful scrutiny of meters during playback, re-recording as needed, and using a true audio editor on the 2 track mix down, like Sound Forge. That is invaluable. Peak outs and other things needing sonic help benefit greatly from taking that extra "mastering" step.

This would also benefit, I'm concurring with Ray, if the reverb level was backed down tremendously. It's as if we're in the lobby outside of an empty auditorium, but we want to be inside, closer to the orchestra, and enjoying the music with a full house--and all those bodies absorb a lot of the ricocheting frequencies.

BUT--compositionally, I found it refreshing and energetic. Thanks for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

After not using the recording of gpo in a month, I forgot about the mixer. Here's a reduction in volume.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5322952&q=hi

Gary -

This is a lovely composition that's equally well orchestrated. I'm at work using the cheap speakers the come with this computer. So, it's difficult to tell if the levels are appropriate. You mentioned that you lowered the volume. The entire piece did seem quite soft through these speakers. But I think I was heard all that you shared through this piece.

Nice work, Mr. Gary! Thank you for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I don't quite follow why you'd call this a fanfare, Gary; not
    that that's particulary of any consequence... and I also would
    concur with comments on reverb and level.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I can't really see an actual fanfare other than using the term to
    mean an opening.
    David, did you listen to the revised recording in the 5th entry of this post?
    As with the second movement, it seems to be too much or too little.
    Gary

Go Back to forum