• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Recorders....

Share/Bookmark

Question about Recorders....

Do any of you know anything about recorders?

I thought of looking for a good sample, but I'm thinking of doing an overdub with a real one. The section is in the key of Eb and I notice online when going to purchase them they are in the key of C often. I don't know anything about them, and wondered if this means it will be impossible, or very difficult, to play a passage in the key of Eb.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Question about Recorders....

Recorders are tuned in C or F, depending on their size. A passage in Eb should not be a problem at all. For more infos about recorders, you may read this article.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Do any of you know anything about recorders?

I thought of looking for a good sample, but I'm thinking of doing an overdub with a real one. The section is in the key of Eb and I notice online when going to purchase them they are in the key of C often. I don't know anything about them, and wondered if this means it will be impossible, or very difficult, to play a passage in the key of Eb.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Tom
    It's not the easiest key in the world - the bottom Eb (on a descant) requires that you cover half a whole with the right 4th finger, which can be awkward at speed. On some models this is made easier by actually having two smaller holes in this spot, and the finger just covers one of them to get Eb, or both to play D. This problem is actually worse in the middle octave, since the D in that octave is played by covering just one hole - thus D to Eb involves slapping down all the fingers, ensuring that the bottom one only covers half the hole, as well as covering half the thumb hole.

Having said that, the recorder is a very agile instrument, and although it's a relatively difficult key, it's not too difficult per se.

T.H.,
    I don't own the library so I can't give you an opinion on it but here is a set of recorders (you may have already looked at it): http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail...VER-009-FORMAT ...and known about this 1/2 off sale at the seller's website: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53575 ...but if not, I'd check them out for a bit. If you are a GS3/GVI user, the samples are 24-bit, so you should be able to use DEF filtering on it. It costs about $60 for the set and while it won't sound as good as a musician's recording; it might be interesting to have an assortment of background recorders for the piece, who knows.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks for all the info!

I suppose I could record it in D and pitch shift it....only a half step.

Will check all the info out, and again thanks!

Tom H
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Go Back to forum