• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone from Birmingham (UK) or ever been there?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone from Birmingham (UK) or ever been there?

Hi!

I got a study place from Birmingham UCE Conservatory and I'd like to know if anyone's from there or ever even been to that city?

Can you tell me any experiences about the place and the composition studies there? Or just about the city in general?

Re: Anyone from Birmingham (UK) or ever been there?

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika
    Hi!

I got a study place from Birmingham UCE Conservatory and I'd like to know if anyone's from there or ever even been to that city?

Can you tell me any experiences about the place and the composition studies there? Or just about the city in general?
    I'm not from Birmingham, but I've been there lots - it's a great city. And a few of my students (high school) have gone either to the University or the conservatory. The ones who've been back to see me have been loving it there. I have to admit I haven't sent a composition student yet - they've all been going for performance as their first study - but they've loved the general atmosphere of the place. Apparently it's very open-minded, there's a large jazz following there, and the place is generally incredibly active.

Re: Anyone from Birmingham (UK) or ever been there?

Brum is UK's second largest city, but it has very little history before the industrial revolution in the 1800s. About 50 years ago it decided to shake off its image as a shabby industrial slum and reinvent itself as a state of the art modern city. A lot of mistakes were made, with appalling concrete pedestrian walkways and ill designed shopping malls. Most of these have now been remedied,and fortunes have been spent establishing a lively, cultural, people friendly city centre, with a world class symphony orchestra and concert hall, a ballet company, theatres, etc etc. The old canal network has been given a face lift and much of the social life is set around them. The city claims to have more canals than Venice. A large Asian community contributes to its lively cosmopolitan personality. Beneath it all, the ordinary Brummie never changes, down to earth, straight-talking, open hearted, and speaking a dialect of English that can be barely intelligible in London only a 100 miles or so to the south. Brummies believe it to be 'pure Anglo Saxon'. Finally, there is a fantastic reference library in the centre. Browsing in it many years ago, I came across a lovely violin Sonata by Senaillie which I copied. I have never seen it anywhere else since, and even the BBC don't have a copy or recording. You might check and see if it is still there! Have a good time.

Go Back to forum