• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for KONTAKT 2 (Full Version) Users

Share/Bookmark

Question for KONTAKT 2 (Full Version) Users

hi, i was thinking about getting the konttakt 2 full version, mainly because all the other libraries use it (SAM, Epic Horns, etc) so i figured it would be the best sampler i could get (and only $250 because of the crossgrade price). my questions are what are the sample libraries that it comes with like? i saw that a small vsl is included and stuff like that. i'm not even sure i'd use them, seeing as i pretty much only use garritan stuff (thats just what i'm used to and comfortable with) - but i'm just curious as to what those sample libraries are like.

also, are the effects pretty good? can you use their reverb instead of the ones on your DAW (i use Logic Express)?

finally, the most important question - is it worth it?

thanks in advance.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Question for KONTAKT 2 (Full Version) Users

The reverb has an almost infinite number of settings and is very versatile. Kontakt 2 comes with a large library of pretty good sounds.

The only downside is that it has so many features that the learning curve is high.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I just bought the crossgrade a couple of months ago,and i must say it is well worth the price for the effects alone plus you get many sample libraries, and I can now use gpo and jabb on my intel mac. try to get the "anniversary crossgrsade from B&H it comes with tutorial DVD and Kontakt experience library. IT IS WORTH IT

one point>>>>the reverbs and effects are excelent, but you can not route external tracks into Kontakt. The effects only work with sounds that originate in kontakt. it would be nice, but it's not possible.
    hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    The reverb has an almost infinite number of settings and is very versatile. Kontakt 2 comes with a large library of pretty good sounds.

The only downside is that it has so many features that the learning curve is high.

Larry
    I agree with this assessment entirely. Especially the learning curve. I haven't even scratched the surface. I do like loading all of my samples from different libraries into one thing, however.

Its primary function is as a sampler, and if you have any desire to dabble in electronic music... especially in combination with acoustic, it can be fun and is very powerful in that respect.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

The learning curve is high only if you try to know everything about it. If you want to load and play you'll be having fun in about 15 minutes. I love Kontakt because of both it's ease of use and it's massive features. It's easy to jump right into using, and also deep enough to spend tons of time learning - so don't let the learning curve comment throw you off.

The only downside in my opinion is Kontakt 2 is way more memory hungry than the original Kontakt. I noticed a drastic difference when I upgraded. If you run Logic and are use to the efficiency of EXS you'll be very disappointed with Kontakt's memory use.

Also it turns out after years of research Germans and particularly the guys at NI - have super sonic vision. Not sure how they achieved it but they can apparently see anything because they make the fonts so small in their plugins you need a magnifying glass to see them. I even used the "Large font" option in the preferences and I still can just barely read them.

Otherwise it's a great software

thanks for the comments so far. its seeming like its a smart purchase to make. the only question that i still have is about the libraries then. are they a significant amount of sounds, and are they good?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Its a slimmed down version of VSL Opus 1 + outside Percussion, both electric and acoustic, Guitars, Basses, Pianos, Organs and Keyboards. 2 DVDs worth of sounds
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I just got the Kontakt 2 full version last week, and its a very nice program in my opinion. The sounds that it comes with are pretty decent, but I'm running out of hard drive space at the moment, so I just put parts of the library on for now.
    I like the convolution effect, and one of my other favorite things is the fact that you can load all the libraries in one program, so latency is not an issue with different libraries. I used to be annoyed when I was using Garritan Personal Orchestra: Sibelius Edition and the General Midi sounds on my soundcard and they wouldn't play in time with each other, but now I don't have to worry about that.
    Of course, I can't use my soundcard sounds, but with the library of included sounds and the regular edition of GPO I don't really need the GM sounds on my sound card, since I was using them mainly for synth pads and sounds.
    In all, a very good program. I am glad I got it. Hope this helps.

--Richard

Go Back to forum