• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best motherboard for E6600 Core 2 Duo

Share/Bookmark

Best motherboard for E6600 Core 2 Duo

Hey guys,

I've been off the board and the hardware subject for a while. About two years ago, you helped me a lot when I assembled my 939 X2 DAW. Now it's time to build another DAW for me and I will stick with the Core 2 Duo chip.

I think I'm not following the news about the best pieces of hardwares and brands nowadays. Can you help me on choosing the best motherboard for an E6600 DAW?

Thanks!
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Best motherboard for E6600 Core 2 Duo

Congrats! I have the E6600 for mine and I love it. I put it in an Intel 965 series (I believe it is the DG965WH). I wasn't planning on messing with trying to overclock it or anything (although apparently those chips can do quite well with that if you have the right motherboard) so I stuck with an actual Intel board. It has served me well so far. I'm using the integrated ICH8 SATA RAID controller to provide a 400GBx2 RAID 0 array exclusively for reading samples, and that has performed well for me with no problems so far. It has 6 SATA ports, I think.

- Chris
    Intel E6600, 4 GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 192, Cubase 4.5.1, GVI 3.64, Kontakt 3.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz

Can you help me on choosing the best motherboard for an E6600 DAW?

Thanks!
    Usually Intel boards are the best you can get just make sure you go with an Intel chipset.

Thanks for the tips, guys. My concern is about the FSB, RAM (I would like to get a board with 8gb support, if possible), SATAII slots, etc... I don't know about the FSB because I see some boards which supports only 4gb RAM with more FSB than the boards up to 8gb. What is the best choice for me?
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

I have an Intel 975BX but the BX2 looks like it has more Sata2 ports... 4 for the BX and 8 for the BX2. They both have 2 different onboard raid controllers and 4 mem slots that support 8 gigs total. Wth my BX I have a 6700 oc'd to 3.15 ghz with just stock cooling. Running 4 gigs ram with XP64 and thinking of bumping up to 8 gigs now that prices have dropped.

Howard

Go Back to forum