Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum area but since my set-up is based on sampling libraries I will start here. Mods, feel free to move it if it is required.

I am just in the middle of re-vamping my DAW set-up and have built a new Core2 machine (E6600, P5W DH, FF800) which will be my main machine. However, my old DAW is still quite ok as long as the tasks put onto it aren't too heavy (P4 2.8, P4C800-E, PulsarII). My idea is to use my old DAW as a sampler, mainly dedicated to Scarbee's SID XL, Chris Hein guitars and TBO through K2. I have a PulsarII card in that machine and I would like to use that as an interface to my main DAW in some way (along with its software instruments).

So, my alternatives are:

1. Use the old DAW as a sample player, connect it to the FF800 through dual ADATs giving 16 audioIO and control it via midi (over LAN or using the respective midi interfaces). Set it up in C4 as 16 audioIOs (NOT as external instruments)

2. Use the old DAW as a sample player, connect it to the FF800 through dual ADATs giving 16 audioIO and control it via midi (over LAN or using the respective midi interfaces). Set it up in C4 as an external instruments

3. Use FX teleport

4. Other?

So, what do you think? I guess using it as external instruments will give C4 the possibility to compensate for latency, but on the other hand, using it as 16 IOs will make it more like external instruments (e.g. I can see&manipulate the audio file without having to do some export/import). What about latency? If I have both the FF800 and the pulsarII set at 128 samples buffer, does that equal a VSTi internally at 256 samples? I am very picky about response and playability so the latency part is important.

Opinions? Comments?

BR
Daniel