• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Cruiseship Runs Aground in Alaska

Share/Bookmark

OT - Cruiseship Runs Aground in Alaska

This is Daja-Vu (sp?) for me! The following is a New York Times article about a cruise ship running aground in Alaska.

Cruise-ship runs Aground in Alaska

My first full-time "gig" was as a musician for a trio onboard a cruise-ship. We played lots of swing, rumbas, cha-chas and other lounge-type music. It was great! The cruiseship was the S. S. Rhapsody which was owned by Paquet Cruises at the time. During the spring of 1984 (don't remember the exact date), one of the officers was attempting to maneuver the ship to prevent it from running agound as the tide was going out. Well. . . he zigged when he should have zagged (don't know the exact nautical terms for steering a ship) and the ship ran aground!! (Oops!!!) We ALL lost our jobs on that day!! The location was Grand Caymen (I think the island was Georgetown, if I remember correctly). Paquet cruises offered to fly everyone to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. However, we were on our own from there! Of course, being a young 24 year old at the time, I didn't save money. I spent it. Lots of it. Barely had enough to fly to my parents in upstate, New York. Sadly, others had even less. It was an experience that I'll never forget!

As a young adult, I had LOTS of fun as a "lounge lizard" working on a cruise ship. Anyone else here ever work on a cruise ship?? Anyone else have a cruise ship story to share??

Cruise ships make great vacations! They are also another opportunity of employement for a musician. One has to remember, though, that not every day is smooth sailing. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: OT - Cruiseship Runs Aground in Alaska

As apposed to "Cruiseship Runs Around In Alaska." I know Gary's been yerning for a twip to Alaskisk. Maybe itsk hims? Kuk kuk kuk kuk! I yams what I yams!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    As apposed to "Cruiseship Runs Around In Alaska." I know Gary's been yerning for a twip to Alaskisk. Maybe itsk hims? Kuk kuk kuk kuk! I yams what I yams!
    This was the same ship Marianne and I were planning on taking. Looks like we'll be riding whales to Alaskisk instead.

Gerry and me, as a duo we still call Q2, spent three days on a ferry going back and forth between Stranraer in Scotland and Larne in Northern Ireland.
    It's a three hour trip and it can be rough between the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. The little stage and dance floor was on the starboard side and we could look straight across and out the windows to port side.
    The sea and sky kept swapping in the window frame, which wasn't bad for me, I've never been sea sick but Gerry didn't enjoy at all. The nearest we got to the Caribbean was singing that reggae number Kingston Town.

We didn't run aground but we did get stuck aground in Stranraer on a particularly low tide. Had to wait about half an hour before getting away. Just as well a ferry's got a flat bottom.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This was the same ship Marianne and I were planning on taking. Looks like we'll be riding whales to Alaskisk instead.
    Mr. Gary - Yikes! I guess you now know about your sudden change in vacation plans! Plenty of other cruise ships that travel to "Alaskisk", I'm sure. Does seem like this particular cruise ship would have been fun to vacation on.

Alaska is just a gorgeous state. I spent a whole summer visiting Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan (sp?) as well as Glacier Bay (thanks to that particular cruise ship gig). Used to watch those beautiful natural "fireworks" late at night. I climbed Juneau Mountain! Because of the thorny vegetation, it was a PAINFUL climb and descent!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    . . .I met a keyboard player once who told me he had a gig on a cruise ship that went from Finland to Germany and back.

. . .The keyboard player said that the men would drink so heavily, that by 10 P.M. they were passed out in their cabins, leaving all the lovely blonde Finnish ladies hanging out in the lounge. After a few nights of this, the ladies really LOVED the band and its music (if ya know what I mean ).
    The S.S. Rhapsody catered to the well-to-do "retired crowd". Sadly, for all of us young musicians, there were very few younger "lovely ladies" on board the S.S. Rhapsody (and by younger, I mean less than 50 years of age! ). Any of the "younger, lovely ladies" that did board our happy cruise ship were "wined and dined" by the officers. Stupid officers, with those white officer uniforms with those golden stripes on their sleeves and those gorgeous European accents that wooed way too many of the ladies! (Sigh!!) LOL!

I was friends with the ship's physician. He was a very friendly, pleasant gentleman, well into his 100's (possibly 120+ years old) who was responsible for every life on board the cruise ship. I think he might have known what "ACLS" stood for. Maybe. (Shudder)

Anyway, we played lots of chess together on those long, loney voyages. He told me that his main function (besides handing out lots and lots of Dramamine to the passangers) was giving lots and lots and lots of Penicillin shots to the ship's crew. Lots of shots.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

In 1982 my family toured the Inside Passage of Alaska on the Alaska state ferry system, called the Alaska Marine Highway. Way cheaper than a cruise ship, and in my opinion, considerably more fun.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

We flew to Seattle and then took a plane to Prince Rupert Island, British Columbia, where we boarded the first ferry.

We got to see a lot more than if we'd been on a large cruise ship. We got to plan our own stays on shore, such as staying in a hotel in Juneau and then spending a day touring Glacier Bay on a tour boat, then getting on the next ferry and heading up to Ketchikan.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum