• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Articulations in Sibelius 4 and Sibelius GPO Edition

Share/Bookmark

String Articulations in Sibelius 4 and Sibelius GPO Edition

Hey everyone,

I did actually have one question. I'm working on a new score and have decided to write it solely with Sibelius 4 and the Sibelius edition of GPO. I'm having difficulty with string articulations, however. I've read through the manuals and still am coming up short.

Does anyone know the exact method of assigning the various articulations for the strings? I'd really like to use the alternating up/down staccatto articulation, but can't figure out the notation for it.

Also, here's a dumb question, after using a particular articulation, say pizzacato, how do I get back to sustained notes. The arco technique doesn't seem to be working.

Just some stupid questions. Maybe someone will be kind enough to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks a bunch. Have a nice day.

Jonny (what's that thig do?) Lost
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: String Articulations in Sibelius 4 and Sibelius GPO Edition

i don't know sibelius, but i can say this. first, i think you have to be sure you're using the KS strings as opposed to the specific ones. second, if the technique of simply writing the articulation doesn't work you can always try putting in the keyswitch note that changes it the style to what you want. then i'm pretty sure sibelius allows you to make that note invisible (i'm pretty sure thats what writing the articulations in is supposed to do). i know this doesn't fix the problem, but it might be a suitable workaround.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hey everyone,

I did actually have one question. I'm working on a new score and have decided to write it solely with Sibelius 4 and the Sibelius edition of GPO. I'm having difficulty with string articulations, however. I've read through the manuals and still am coming up short.

Does anyone know the exact method of assigning the various articulations for the strings? I'd really like to use the alternating up/down staccatto articulation, but can't figure out the notation for it.

Also, here's a dumb question, after using a particular articulation, say pizzacato, how do I get back to sustained notes. The arco technique doesn't seem to be working.

Just some stupid questions. Maybe someone will be kind enough to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks a bunch. Have a nice day.

Jonny (what's that thig do?) Lost
    Jonny,

Arco doesn't work with KS strings? Is it attached to the correct staff? (Can happen).

For up/down bows - I remember something to the effect that notes have to be at a certain speed before that articulation will kick in. I assume you are using KS strings, and using the up/down bow articulations, yes?

Does staccato not change the articulation? How are you trying to do this?

Have you posted this on the Sib board?

Sorry to answer questions with questions - my Mother taught me that was rude - but it's hard to give an answer without a few more details.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Johnny,

To get back to normal arco playing after you have inputted the "pizz" text, you must input the text "nat.arco", before the note where you want it to change back to arco playing - I am trying to remember here - I have a new pc, and I have to reinstall Sib 4 plus the GPO program - so I can't check this for you, but I am hoping that is correct.
    The "nat" is short for natural. Now, I have not used Sib 4 with GPO for a while due to me being busy with school and other things, but that is what I remember to do, as I had the same problem myself, and Daniel Spreadbury gave me this text entry.

Now, just be careful that if you have violins 1 and 2, there is some setting in the GPO settings - I think it is in the "Play" menu of Sib4, where you must make sure that one instrument does not share the same slot, or the wording is something like that [sorry, I can't remember exactly what the wording is, as I need to reinstall Sib 4 on my new computer],- what happens, is that if you turn the setting off, so that no instrument shares the same slot, you will not run into the problem with having the violin 1 section, playing the sound for violin section 1 and violins 2 - because if you set the second violin to play pizz, and have the first violins are playing arco, well, because there is only one string section samples playing - you will get a pizz section playing from both violin sections, which is not what you want - well, it maybe the other way around - sorry, I just can't remember exactly!

If my advice does not work it maybe because I may have forgotten exactly how to solve this! Trying the Sibelius help page may then be what you need to do in that case!

Hope this helps!

best,

Steve.

Steve,

Arco has always worked for me. Hmmm...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum