• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Glass and Stones

Share/Bookmark

VSL Glass and Stones

does anyone here have VSL's Glass and Stones library or the newer addition to it? they sound awesome on the demos, but i'd like to get some feedback from actual users. thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: VSL Glass and Stones

I have 'em and I love 'em! There are a ton of different "articulations" (for lack of a better word) for each instrument, or different ways of playing them. It's not the kind of library you just sit back and play, though... the sounds are a little oddball, just because of what they are, so you'd find yourself recording them line by line vs. playing something in full, like you'd do with a string patch. The Bill Brown demo on the VSL site is a great example of what the collection can do.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    does anyone here have VSL's Glass and Stones library or the newer addition to it? they sound awesome on the demos, but i'd like to get some feedback from actual users. thanks.
    They're pretty good. Most of the sounds are close-mic'ed, so they feel more album-y than orchestral-room-y.

My favorite part about the library is that I got it for free, during some weird promotion VSL was doing in days of yore.

I have the old-fashioned Giga library, rather than the VI, and I love it. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how a lithophone should sound in real life, but the glasses are spot on.

which one would you guys recommend - glass and stones or the newer version?

by the way, thanks for the info so far. i really appreciate it.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

they are great, use them all the time, love the bowed sounds for adding edgy ambience.

cheers
    brett

Glass and Stones has apparantly been discontinued, and Vienna has sold off their remaining stock. There may still be some in the hands of retailers.

I think their plan is to stop producing everything else and concentrate on the new VI series.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

is the elements standard version good, or is it missing a lot compared to the extended? i looked on the website and found the comparison, but it doesn't really mean anything to me seeing as i've never used it, so if anyone has the VSL Elements your 2 cents would be nice. thanks again.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Keith, I think you can get by with just the standard library -- that's what contains the staple sounds, or the most useable ones. The extended library certainly has some neat stuff in it, but if you're aiming for the stuff like lithophone w/various mallets, and verrophone, then this should work just fine for you.
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Keith,

I have both the libraries (the original Giga and the new VI) and love them to bits. The textures are great for experimenting with, and can comfortably be the base for further processing. Highly recommended.

Below is a link to a piece wot I wrote using quite a lot of sounds from Glass and Stones (Giga version) as another example - they're pretty thin on the ground on the VSL site. Hope you enjoy.

City Resonance

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Go Back to forum