• Register
  • Help

Topic: Licensing Question

Licensing Question

This is my first post, but I want to say I've been enjoying looking around the forum for ideas and expect to be posting soon regarding JABB and Kontakt 2. But first, a more pressing question:

I have a job composing a volume of library tracks, through a music house, for one of the big library track companies. I've given the JABB licensing agreement a careful read but want to clarify whether it's acceptable to use JABB as part of my palette in the composing of these tracks.

I'll be playing guitars and bass myself, using some soft synth keyboard and drum programs, and would use JABB for to create some horn-section parts. I would guess this is no different from using it to write music for a CD or a film, except that the whole point of library tracks is that they're going to be resold, and I don't know if that would still be considered "re-used in any other commercial sample library or any competitive product."

Obviously neither the library tracks company nor myself will be re-selling the raw JABB samples, but in some cases the finished product is provided as splits, in which case the end-use buyer of the library tracks would be able to isolate, say, just the bass and drums, or a lead guitar line, or conceivably, just a harmonized horn line, to drop into whatever project they've bought the library for.

If this is not an acceptable use of the program, I will proceed without JABB for this project, but it seems grey enough that I thought I would ask before resigning myself to life without horns for the next 24 minutes of music I write...

Orcas Island

Re: Licensing Question

Thanks for asking in advance. There doesn't seem to be any problem with your intended use.

you can use these samples for any music production. You are making music with it and selling the music "lines" (melody/harmony/etc). It does not seem you are selling raw samples but music made with it. As such this is an acceptable use of the program.

Good luck with your project!

Gary Garritan

Re: Licensing Question

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the near-instant reply! I'm glad to hear this is not a problem. I've only recently gotten up and running with JABB but love it so far. I'm really looking forward to learning as much about it as possible, and being able to use it on a project with a deadline can only speed up the process!

Go Back to forum