• Register
  • Help

Topic: K2 player missing the GPO library on Mac

Share/Bookmark

Question K2 player missing the GPO library on Mac

Hi

I have an intel mac on which I have used bootcamp to dual boot the machine. So I can run Cubase SX3 on Windows XP and I can run Logic on OSX. So I am making use of my two allowable GPO installations by installing on both XP and OSX on the same machine.

I did the windows installation first, installing the original GPO files from CD and registering with NI, then updating to K2 player with the new serial number. I copied the .nks files from "GPO Library" to "GPO K2 Library" so I can use old and new players if I want to. The library is installed on an external NTFS USB hard drive. K2 player knows where the library is, because I specified the external disk during the install process. After registering the old and new versions of the software with NI, the players both work 100%, and I see the new orange GPO library thing in the K2 player browser pane. So far so good...

Then I booted into OSX to do the install there. Once again I installed the original CD first, but choosing only the "basic" GPO installation option and NOT the library, because of course 1) the library is already installed on the external NTFS USB drive and 2) OSX can read but not write an NTFS drive. I registered the old player with NI, and launched it. It immediately asked me where to find the library so I pointed it at the external drive. It now plays the "GPO Library" perfectly under rosetta.

Finally I installed the 2.2.1 update, only installing the "basic GPO" bit and not the library. It registered with NI OK, so I launched KontaktPlayer2. I can see the new black Kontakt2 player window, but it does NOT have the new orange GPO library shown. I clicked options then went to the Load tab and set the library path to be the "GPO K2 Library" one on my external drive. K2 Player asked me to close the player and reopen it to make this take effect. But still no joy I'm afraid... No orange GPO library in K2 Player after restarting it.

What can I do about this please? I want all my samples on this shared NTFS USB drive because it is then available to Cubase SX3 under windows and logic under OSX without duplicating files, and it keeps the samples away from my operating system drive for speed.

EDIT: If I install the GPO K2 Library files from the OSX installer, to any location that i like on the OSX main hard disk, then launch the K2 Player it automagically manages to see the new library and the orange GPO box appears in the K2 player. So there must surely be a config file somewhere that gets updated by the installer to tell K2 player where to find the library?

Thanks,
    Fleabag.

Re: K2 player missing the GPO library on Mac

Hmmm, I might have found a sort of solution...

1) By installing the latest GPO K2 Library files from the installer on my main OSX drive, K2 Player is able to find and load the GPO and display the orange box.

2) THEN I have to click on "info" in the GPO box in K2 Player, which launches the Library Info window, and in the About tab of that window there is a Library Path box which seems to be specifically for finding the library .nks files... By setting this to my external disk location, K2 Player can load and play instruments.

So in summary my .nks files are on the external drive (they are the big ones) and the .nkx, .nkc. .nki and .nkm files are all on my local disk. They are not too big so that's fine. There, its near midnight in the UK and I'm bushed, so giving myself a clap...

But if anyone else has any better ideas....

Cheers
    Fleabag

I think it would have been best to go ahead and install the library to the local disk then modify the location of the .nks files. If you choose not to install it, who knows what might not get configured properly. As you found out, you can modify where KP2 looks for the sample files. FYI, Kontakt stores this location in the pref files. For KP1, it in the users home/Library/Preferences folder. For KP2 it is in the system pref folder /Library/Preferences.

Another option would be to create symlinks to the external drive. This requires a trip to the Terminal. Aliases won’t work because they are resolved by the App rather than in the filesystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    I think it would have been best to go ahead and install the library to the local disk then modify the location of the .nks files. If you choose not to install it, who knows what might not get configured properly. As you found out, you can modify where KP2 looks for the sample files. FYI, Kontakt stores this location in the pref files. For KP1, it in the users home/Library/Preferences folder. For KP2 it is in the system pref folder /Library/Preferences.

Another option would be to create symlinks to the external drive. This requires a trip to the Terminal. Aliases won’t work because they are resolved by the App rather than in the filesystem.

Thanks for that info. I'm realtively new to the mac but an old hand at windows and unix programming. What you say makes sense. Though interestingly, when I did finally install the local copies of the new library files, spotlight was still unable to find any document which referenced the chosen install location, so maybe its encoded in binary in the prefs.

Thanks for the tip on aliases, I had naively assumed they were just a GUI wrapper for a good old fashioned symlink under the surface.

Kind regards,
    Fleabag

As of 10.4 (Tiger) pref files are in binary. You can view them with the Plist Editor. Also, since you know Unix, there is a command line utility called "defaults" which lets you view and change pref values. If you type just defaults, it will list all user level defaults.

Aliases are from the old MacOS. They work a bit differently. They contain the Volume and File ID of the target file. If you move the target file, the Alias doesn't break. Why Apple put the burden of resolving them on the application, I don't know.

Go Back to forum