• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why GS3 Ens isnt letting me add more iRules?

Share/Bookmark

Why GS3 Ens isnt letting me add more iRules?

When i try to add more than one iMidi rule to a .gig file thru GS3 Ensemble, it says "Only one rule possible in this version of GS3" Why didn't the website list this obvious limitation?

Re: Why GS3 Ens isnt letting me add more iRules?

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam
    When i try to add more than one iMidi rule to a .gig file thru GS3 Ensemble, it says "Only one rule possible in this version of GS3" Why didn't the website list this obvious limitation?
    Sam,

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule: The DEF can be implemented after any existing rule (not before), and the mono portamento rule can incorporate the DEF. That means that you can use up to three sets of filters with iMIDI (Portamento Reshaping Filters+DEF, together with regular DEF), or you can use any other rule together with DEF. In addition to this, the rule builder can be used to implement a wide variety of MIDI data conversion rules, and if there is a limit to how many, I haven't found it yet (at least 64).

As to why the 1 rule general limit is not documented, I have a feeling that it has much to do with plans that the giga team had to expand its capabilities, which were probably abandoned or delayed when they saw that many developers (the main target audience for iMIDI documentation and updates) were leaving the platform. It's not just a limitation in GS3 Ens, but in all versions of v.3. This is unfortunate, but I have a feeling that GS4 will raise the ceiling on this limitation if they don't abandon iMIDI in favor of something more like scripting. Personally, I think iMIDI has much potential, and can already do more that most people know about.

Belbin

thanks for the useful info. I'm quite shocked the manual doesn't even address the information that you just provided. Yeah iMidi seems to be quite powerful so i thought i'd add experiment with it in giga. I hope the sample libraries' devs come back when they hear news on GS4 (which would hopefully pose a great threat to kontakt 2)

I was planning to post a similar question today! Thanks for the info Belbin.

Rob

Go Back to forum