• Register
  • Help

Topic: cc numbers in real time:how?

cc numbers in real time:how?

OK,maybe I'm losing my grip, so please bear with me. I've just bought JABB for a library album project, but I simply cannot gets to grips with the accessing of the numerous articulations and effects available for the various instruments, via the cc numbers. Basically, I simply do not understand how one is supposed to able to access these cc's in real time,and by means of what physical controllers.

For example, plunger mute trumpet: where am I supposed to set that up and get it to work? I would have thought the obvious way of controlling it would be the mod wheel (or maybe volume pedal), but then the volume would be affected. And anyway, if I call up this patch I simply cannot find any way at all of getting the plunger effect to work. I'm obviously missing something here, with regard to cc numbers, but it isn't explained at all in the manual, except to describe what they do and what effects are at one's disposal! I mean, it isn't explained as to how one implements them, and particularly with regard to real time, because I would have imagined that to achieve a realsitic approximation of the instrument ,one would want to have all this stuff available somehow. Can anyone help me,please, because at the moment these patches are not working for me and sound really bland. Thanks.

Re: cc numbers in real time:how?

JABB was *not* designed to be a realtime library. There are just too many controllers to be practical in realtime, unless you grow a few extra appendages. The best approach is to split the chores. Do the realtime things that pay the biggest dividends (playing in the notes with mod wheel expression) and edit everything after that (including the notes and mod wheel data.) That's how I produced the demos. Each instrument was addressed in turn with attention applied to one controller at a time until the finished track was "sculpted" as needed to achieve the desired expression. Each controller is designed to modify a different aspect of the sound. The subtle interaction of the various controllers is what brings the programming to life.

Try examining the posted demo material for more insights concerning the process. Here is a link to those demos: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45965

Also, here's a tutorial on the use of the plunger mute: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52930

Now, some keyboards have assignable sliders and knobs. I use an M-Audio Axiom that has 9 assignable sliders, 8 assignable knobs, and 8 assignable pads. I use them all the time while I'm doing the instrument programming but I don't often use them for realtime playing of controllers. They are more of a tool for testing than anything else. But someone with more manual dexterity than me might give it a try!

Thank you very much,Tom, for your comprehensive reply! Now I understand...

I was just going to reply to you, but I guess you sussed it and took down the last post!

Barrie Bignold

Go Back to forum