• Register
  • Help

Topic: Small composition for the gofriller cello and GPO piano

Share/Bookmark

Small composition for the gofriller cello and GPO piano

My first 'serious' composition for cello, I tried my best but can use all the help people can give. So veteran cello composers, let yourselves be heared!

Broke but not broken

Thanks for listening.

Re: Small composition for the gofriller cello and GPO piano

I'd say your making some fine progress with the cello,
    Sleutelbos! Parts of this are quite convincing.

I might go a little easier on the portamentos in this;
    though that's a matter of taste and intent.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello, Sleutelbos

I'm not a Cello player, but I do compose music, and I enjoyed your "small composition."

I think perhaps Et Lux has a point about the Portamento being a bit too "soupy" at the most dramatic slides. Could be a matter of taste. I would be interested what a Cellist would say about that issue.

Thanks for the music!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I’m not a cello expert but I’d say you are headed in the right direction – the music sounds written for the cello (i.e., it would sound as good played on a bassoon or bass clarinet) and the cello sounds very realistic through most of this. I can’t really comment on the portamentos, I’ll let an expert do that.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Sleutelbos,
    I am no cello expert either, but it all boils down to taste. I agree there is too much portamento for my taste. It is very easy to get carried away with the ease of realistic portamento with the Strad and Gofriller.

Equally important for maximum realization of any production is the mixing.
    At first when I heard the piano, I fealt as though I was in the last row in the balcony way way up there, then the celloist started playing just three rows in front of me. It is disturbing to the ear to hear the cello in a totally different environment while the piano is all the way at the back of the stage.... "way down there".

I think this is a very nice piece of music, and could be a little better by addressing some attention to a few things that I heard as I listened.

The level of reverb is way too high on the piano and just about right on the cello. I realize you probably used the same reverb room or setting, but used way more reverb level for the piano.

These are of course just opinions, and there really is no right or wrong way to mix, but I think addressing these reverb/mixing issues would significantly improve the production value of this piece.

From a musical/performance standpoint, the piano is really late during the first 40 seconds while the cello plays. Also, the velocity of the cello notes from 1:03 to 1:05 are unrealistically high, these need to be almost zero. The cello notes from 1:12 to 1:16 are really conflicting with what the piano is playing. That part is very odd sounding, and perhaps the cello could play... something like this from 1:08 to 1:17... just an idea.

Dan

Sleutelbos--How are you doing with this piece, and whatever music you're currently working on?

All of us on this thread pretty much busted your chops on the over-use of the Portamento on the Cello.

OK, well, big deal. I hope you realize that we all appreciated the composition itself.

I don't have the Gofriller, but I do have the Strad now, and with that instrument, it's very easy to have notes sliding along all over the place without careful attention paid to the velocity dynamics. Higher the velocity--the less Portamento there is.

It's actually a fun process, going through a MIDI controller editor and carefully crafting the speed and depth of all the Portamento effects via the strength of the velocity. It's like that in the Cello I think?

In any case--I felt that not enough people heard your post when it first came up.

And I wanted to take the opportunity to ask you how you're doing?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

i like the cello. it outlines the I chord a lot then hits that minor/flat 6. i don't really have any advice, but nicely done.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the comments everyone and taking the time to listen. I agree with the portamento comments, I've got that problem with all (virtual or real) instruments I use: as soon as I figure a specific technique out I tend to way overdo it. I'll try to edit it in the Cubase MIDI editor and try to develop a sense for when to use it and when not.

Dan: The piano is exported straight out of Sibelius with the GPO reverb, using a fairly large concert hall. The cello was played in cubase and received a much milder (and much nicer!) reverb from AltiVerb. I agree about the sonical mismatch, I'll either export it again and add the reverb in Cubase or export it as a MIDI and use The Grand for the sound.

Randy: Funny you should ask, I'm right in the process of finishing one of my projects or 'album'. The coming one will be in three parts, with one being a Dutch electronic/pop album, one being a classically-orientated part with lots of piano and GPO sounds and the third part will be an English guitar-orientated part. I've been going for almost four years now since I picked up my first instrument so I've lots of practice to do and this is a nice and fun way to do it. I probably won't post it here when it's done because it's not really Garritan-exclusive but if you want I can drop you a note when it's done.

Basically the classical part is the last thing I have to do now, this song in particular and then some final mixing stuff. Should be done within two weeks I hope.

Thanks again for listening everyone, and for giving critique. It's the closest I can come to having a composition teacher, it's really very much appreciated!

Hello again, Sleutelbos

Thanks for the info on your current project!

Earlier in your new post, you were answering Dan, and said:

"...The piano is exported straight out of Sibelius with the GPO reverb, using a fairly large concert hall. The cello was played in cubase and received a much milder (and much nicer!) reverb from AltiVerb..."

And then you agreed that the results made for a sonic mis-match. Well---I'm wondering why you exported the piano with reverb added to it? If you would have left the piano dry, then it also could have had reverb added in Cubase, when you mixed it with the Cello.---

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I know, but I'm an idiot, can't help it. I liked how the piano sounded on it's own and didn't think too much of how I could get the cello properly in. Ah well, that's all part of the learning process I guess.

Go Back to forum